Carolina Mind

28 November 2016
28 October 2016
30 March 2015
05 March 2015
05 February 2015 | 24 57.932
25 January 2015 | Coconut Grove
24 December 2014 | Cocoa, FL
28 November 2014 | Jekyll Island, Ga
09 November 2014 | North Myrtle Beach, SC

Florida Current/Gulf Stream

12 April 2015
On March 31, we started the trip back north. We had a window for about a week of great weather for the beginning of the trip.

We left Marathon (reluctantly) and motor sailed through Florida Bay to Tarpon Basin just north of Key Largo. Tarpon Basin is a small embayment which is completely surrounded by mangroves and thus well protected. We spent a very still but fitful night in Tarpon Basin because we forgot to put up the much finer mesh noseeum screens. So in the middle of the night we woke scratching and retrieved the bug repellent.

The next day we motor sailed up Biscayne Bay which just like the trip south was again absolutely beautiful with crystal clear waters. We anchored in No Name Harbor at the southeastern end of Key Biscayne. This is another small keyhole basin which is well protected, but also close to the ocean for making a crossing to the Bahamas (noted for next year) or for heading north up the coast bypassing Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, and most importantly 46 draw bridges.

Early in the morning on April 2 we left Key Biscayne and headed to sea. At about 3-4 miles offshore we found a 2-3 knot boost from the Florida Current/Gulf Stream to take us past the interesting but congested Miami waterways and of course the 46 bridges. At night, the harbors of Miami and Port Everglades (at Ft. Lauderdale) were very busy with cruise ships and freighters waiting their turn to enter the shipping channel. Our AIS system dutifully identified the commercial vessels and noted the closest pass where our paths might intersect. It was comforting to be able to call a vessel by name and ask if they were aware of our little vessel and if there was any need for a course correction.

After we were north of the Port Everglades shipping channels there was far less traffic and we could concentrate on making some speed. For the first time our boat recorded 10+ knots over the bottom while motor sailing. I had attempted to time our arrival at the Lake Worth inlet to coincide with the start of a flood tide to avoid an opposing ebb current that can reach as much a 3+ knots. As it happens, we arrived a little early and caught the end of the ebb tide, but the opposing current was only about a knot and a half. After three days away from a dock and traveling hard, we went to the Old Port Cove marina at the northern end of Lake Worth.

Old Port Cove is a nice marina, but is a little rich for our taste. Most of the boats in the marina are large to very large power yachts with an army of people shining and polishing the boats each day. Almost every boat looks boat show ready and we wonder how often those boats are away from the dock. However, the marina is wonderfully staffed and close to grocery stores (and up-scale shopping in North Palm Beach).

From here north, we will be pushing and alternating anchorages and marinas as we need to resupply.

April 4th and 5th found us back in Cocoa Village Marina in Cocoa, FL. While headed south, we spent a month in this marina from mid-December to mid-January, waiting for very cold and windy weather to pass and also taking a short holiday visit to NC. This is one of our all-time favorite marinas located in one of our favorite Florida towns.

April 9th found us back in St. Augustine. We wanted to stay here a few days, but the stay is longer than we wanted due to a stalled front just to the north which is sending stormy weather. We aren’t required to go out in bad weather, so we will not. Just how long we will stay is presently unknown. We are already getting impatient and want to be moving again.
Comments
Vessel Name: Carolina Mind
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 350
Hailing Port: Beaufort, NC
Crew: David and Beverly Johnson
Carolina Mind's Photos - Main
Pictures from our time based in Marathon, FL, at the Harbor Cay Club Marina.
64 Photos
Created 8 March 2017
Trip from NC to Florida Keys and more
63 Photos
Created 28 October 2016
Just a few pictures from our visits to Key West and Marathon
8 Photos
Created 13 April 2015