Moonshine - Catalina 25

11 December 2011 | Deale, MD
04 December 2011 | Deale, MD
03 December 2011 | Deale, MD

Clean Up

04 December 2011 | Deale, MD
Andrew


Today we began cleaning the boat. The cabin hadn't been open for a year and a half and a little bit of airing out is in order. We started off by using a cleaning compound on the hull to get all of the grime off, and took off the vinyl lettering. Then moved on to the cabin, where I cleaned down the surfaces and found a couple places where water was leaking into the cabin. Namely the deadlight that is on the bow of the boat above the v-birth.

Crack in Deadlight

After some research, I found that replacements are available through Catalina Direct for a modest price, so I ordered the piece. We pulled out the drawers and other wood pieces and found that there was mold on them. We set them aside to work on later.

The seat cushions looked great from the pictures that were supplied on the craigslist ad, but upon further inspection we found that they were all damp, filled with black mold and mildew. We immediately removed them from the cabin and put them aside.



We found this little gem under the window on the port side. Seems water has made it into the fiberglass, it needs attention, but with all the other things that we are looking at fixing it is a little low on the list. First thing is first, make the boat sea worthy.

She is right now positioned behind 3 other boats on the hard and needs to be moved out so that we can easily put her in the water. Each boat has to be moved until they can get to ours at $200 a pop. An unexpected expense for us. She should be moved sometime during the week.

The sun began to set and we decided to head out and tackle some more projects next weekend.
Comments
Vessel Name: Moonshine