Cat Lady

06 April 2010 | Long Island, Bahamas
08 December 2009 | Marathon, FL
12 November 2009 | Isle of Hope, SC (Savannah)
11 November 2009 | Isle of Hope, SC (Savannah)
10 November 2009 | Isle of Hope, SC (Savannah)
09 November 2009 | Port Royal, SC
08 November 2009 | Toogoodoo Creek, SC
07 November 2009 | Charleston, SC
06 November 2009 | Charleston, SC
05 November 2009 | Georgetown, SC
04 November 2009 | Prince Creek, Near Georgetown, SC
03 November 2009 | Oak Island, NC
02 November 2009 | Carolina Beach, NC
01 November 2009 | Swansboro, NC
31 October 2009 | Beaufort, NC
30 October 2009 | Back Creek, off Adams Creek
29 October 2009 | Near Belhaven, NC
28 October 2009 | Elizabeth City, NC
27 October 2009 | South Mills, NC
26 October 2009 | Portsmouth, VA

Rosebud......Rosebud......

28 October 2009 | Elizabeth City, NC
Mike
Kind of weird tied up to a bulkhead between two residential streets. We get ready for the 8:30 lock opening. The bridge opens and the boats we saw at the visitor center come through to lock through with Cat Lady...about 8 boats total. I talk also to a family with 2 kids on a large sailboat locked behind ours. It only takes 10 minutes, and we head down Turners Cut to the beautiful Pasquotank River...even much more stunning than the Swamp, with cypress dripping moss and mistletoe. A short day today, as we arrive in Elizabeth City around noon. Elizabeth City is a "must stop" for us due to the incredible hospitality of the town in general, and especially to cruisers. The town's "Rose Buddies" provide free dockage to all cruisers, a rose bud to each lady aboard, and a free wine and cheese party each evening at least 4 boats are docked. The grocery store will pick you up and return you to the docks - no charge. A lot of restaurants and stores are within walking distance. As we pass through the lift bridge we are a little concerned since each of the boats we locked through with at South Mills had passed us, mostly in the last stretch, apparently to make sure they would get a berth. We call the waterfront on the VHF for a spot to tie up, and guess who answers? Sid from "Fiu" is helping with the docking. He directs us to the bulkhead we tied up to last time we were here, and helps with the lines.
We walk through town and have lunch, then back for the "wine and cheese party" and meet several of the cruisers. Norman & Nancy on "True Loev" are also tied up there. He updates us on the Charleston, SC bridge closing, letting us know that it will be delayed until after the "migration" window, mostly due to the initiative of True Loev and Modachie (sp?), who they are traveling with. Yay! We don't have to rush.
We invite Sid & Bonnie on "Fiu" for margaritas...they join us on our boat and we talk about the trip ahead. Both boats plan to take off in the morning - strong north winds predicted which could provide a quick and exhilarating ride across the Albemarle Sound.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cat Lady
Vessel Make/Model: Gemini 105Mc
Hailing Port: Heathsville, VA
Crew: Jan, Mike, Buttercup, & Fugu
About: Cat Lady heads south from the Chesapeake Bay to the Keys, Bahamas, and beyond (?)

Cat Lady

Who: Jan, Mike, Buttercup, & Fugu
Port: Heathsville, VA