Cat Lady

06 April 2010 | Long Island, Bahamas
08 December 2009 | Marathon, FL
12 November 2009 | Isle of Hope, SC (Savannah)
11 November 2009 | Isle of Hope, SC (Savannah)
10 November 2009 | Isle of Hope, SC (Savannah)
09 November 2009 | Port Royal, SC
08 November 2009 | Toogoodoo Creek, SC
07 November 2009 | Charleston, SC
06 November 2009 | Charleston, SC
05 November 2009 | Georgetown, SC
04 November 2009 | Prince Creek, Near Georgetown, SC
03 November 2009 | Oak Island, NC
02 November 2009 | Carolina Beach, NC
01 November 2009 | Swansboro, NC
31 October 2009 | Beaufort, NC
30 October 2009 | Back Creek, off Adams Creek
29 October 2009 | Near Belhaven, NC
28 October 2009 | Elizabeth City, NC
27 October 2009 | South Mills, NC
26 October 2009 | Portsmouth, VA

Dancing in the Dark

01 November 2009 | Swansboro, NC
Mike
After a relaxing start of the day in Beaufort, NC, we readied to shove off the dock around 11. We had some help rigging the lines so that we could squeeze Cat Lady out of the slip and past True Loev docked behind us. Little bands of light showers came through in the morning, and the prediction for the day was overcast and heavy clouds. We said our goodbyes and shoved off the dock, and out toward the ocean inlet to u-turn into Morehead City. The wind picked up to 20 knots as we put out the jib to help us against the strong current, then it starts pouring. Jan scrambles to dig out the enclosure and sets up enough of it to keep me from getting drenched at the helm while I try to sort out the markers and dozens of little boats darting every which way...seemingly also surprised by the sudden downpour. Once we pass under the high bridge we're in protected water, then ten minutes later, the rain stops. We motorsail the rest of the day with a stiff wind on our beam and a protected channel to follow...and a lot fewer boats than one would expect on a Sunday!
We make a good run to Swansboro...a town we had wanted to check out. The anchorage is large, but with a huge current and a shallow open bay to the north. We set two anchors in Bahamian moor style (one forward, one aft, connected at the bow). Two sailboats are already anchored and another comes in. In the 20kn north wind screaming down the river, one sailboat weighs anchor to re-anchor further up...I think the other wanted to increase scope but the other had anchored too close behind to allow for it. At the same time, the 3rd sailboat almost grounds on a shoal on the first anchoring attempt, then anchors again in the channel, then anchors at least a third time. The tide has started to turn, so the current fights the wind, sometimes resulting in some kind of uncomfortable stalemate. Once we realize that we don't have the will to ready the dinghy to row or power over to check out town, we regret that we didn't continue to a more protected anchorage further on. Our 4 boats spend a strange night dancing around the anchorage in different ways...a good thing there were not more boats. We had a few periods of discomfort when the wind died enough for the current to hold Cat Lady abeam to the waves. It's nice to be rocked asleep, but this is more like being jarred.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cat Lady
Vessel Make/Model: Gemini 105Mc
Hailing Port: Heathsville, VA
Crew: Jan, Mike, Buttercup, & Fugu
About: Cat Lady heads south from the Chesapeake Bay to the Keys, Bahamas, and beyond (?)

Cat Lady

Who: Jan, Mike, Buttercup, & Fugu
Port: Heathsville, VA