Cay de Cay

14 May 2020 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
05 January 2020 | British Virgin Islands
28 December 2019 | Anegada Island, BVI
02 December 2019 | Sopers Hole, West End, BVI
24 November 2019 | Christmas Cove
30 June 2019 | The British Virgin Islands
22 May 2019 | US Virgin Islands
05 April 2019 | Puerto del Rey Marina
23 March 2019 | Boqueron, Puerto Rico
21 March 2019 | Mona Island and Puerto Real, Puerto Rico
18 March 2019 | Cap Cana Marina, Dominican Rebuplic
11 March 2019 | Samana, Dominican Republic
05 March 2019 | Ocean World Marina, Puerto Plata, DR
04 March 2019 | Cambiaso, Dominican Republic
02 March 2019 | Big Sand Cay. TCI
17 February 2019 | Leeward Going Through, Provo, TCI
29 January 2019 | Turtle Cove Marina, Provo, TCI
16 January 2019 | Cooper Jack Bight, Provo, TCI
11 January 2019 | Abraham's Bay, Mayaguana Island
01 January 2019 | Conception Island

Christmas

25 December 2017 | Man-O-War Cay, Abaco
Doug
Our celebratory Christmas dinner was on Dec 23rd because most restaurants are normally closed on Sunday (which was Christmas Eve) and also on Christmas day. We sailed from Little Harbour to Hope Town on Elbow Cay and anchored just outside the harbor off Eagle Rock.

As the sun set, the decorations of streaming lights on the red and white candy cane striped Lighthouse came on and church bells in town played Christmas carols. It was a magical moment.

We took the dinghy into the harbor in the dark for our "Christmas" dinner at the Wine Down Sip Sip restaurant. There were two other parties seated. One couple and their young daughter, who took a liking to Karrie. And a large group of young adults, who did a present exchange. After our dinner, Karrie met one of the young ladies (Allie) from the large group. They were shooting a TV show in the Bahamas. She was interested in how the local Bahamians spend Christmas and when Karrie invited her to the Man-O-War Christmas celebration she promised to come.

Christmas Eve morning we moved the boat a few miles from Elbow Cay to Man-O-War to attend church services. The normal minister, Pastor Randy, was visiting family for Christmas and the lay minister, Rich, decide to sing Christmas carols before the sermon. But not just one or two carols, we opened our hymnals and sang EVERY carol in the book (except for a few that "we don't know")...19 carols (the first verse only) in all! No one could say that we didn't sing their favorite! What a great idea.

That evening we attended a Christmas Eve party hosted by Jim and Nancy Clements. Many of the second home owners and boaters attended. Lots of fun with an interesting mix of people.

On Christmas morning, Man-O-War has a town celebration. The whole island gathers, sings carols, tells the Christmas story, and welcomes the arrival of Mr and Mrs Santa Claus. The children all join in calling (screaming) for Santa. Santa and Mrs Claus hand out gifts to all the town children. And then there is a huge pot luck buffet for the entire island.
Santa
Santa and Mrs. Claus

Christmas Buffet
Christmas brunch pot luck buffet

As we lined up for the buffet, Allie and her boyfriend (OG) walked up, having just arrived on the ferry from Marsh Harbour. They could hear the children yelling for Santa from the ferry dock, so they knew where to head to find the celebration, they just followed the noise!

We spent the rest of the day with Allie and OG, since their return ferry was not until 5pm. Two very interesting young people. Karrie commented that it was like spending time with one of our daughters. She is a sound engineer for TV production and met OG while filming "Alaska Bush People" on the island OG is from. He was the "local guide" for the show having been born on the island. The small island near Juneau has more brown bears than people! We toured the island and then took them to our boat. Following their visit, I dropped them off at the Low Place beach so they could walk back into town and see more of the island.

It turned out to be a wonderful and unexpected Christmas day!
Comments
Vessel Name: Cay de Cay
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40
Hailing Port: North Palm Beach, FL
Crew: Doug & Karrie
About: Doug and Karrie are enjoying retirement by first cruising the Bahamas and now the Caribbean. Karrie was a Middle and High School English Teacher. Doug was a Design Engineer.
Extra:
Our first "Retirement" cruise was a life long dream. We spent our first winter in the upper Bahamas and Abacos. During our second winter we left Ft Lauderdale and headed for the Exumas, but continued on to Long Island, Cat Island, and Eleuthera (as well as other locations). For our third and [...]
Cay de Cay's Photos - Main
Our sixth season of cruising. This season we are in the Virgin Islands.
30 Photos
Created 16 December 2019
Adventures on our fifth winter season in the Bahamas and Beyond!
52 Photos
Created 13 January 2019
Photos highlighting our fourth winter cruise.
7 Photos
Created 2 December 2017
Photos from our walkabout in Spanish Wells
16 Photos
Created 14 April 2016
Base of the Exumas Land and Sea Park
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2015
Our first stop in the Exumas Land and Sea Park
1 Photo
Created 30 December 2015
We anchored here for two days. There are white sand beaches almost the entire length of the cay.
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2015
We stopped at Chub Cay on our way from Bimini to Nassau while heading to the Exumas.
2 Photos
Created 20 December 2015
Our first retirement winter cruise to Abacos, Bahamas
29 Photos | 10 Sub-Albums
Created 28 November 2014