Cay de Cay

14 May 2020 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
05 January 2020 | British Virgin Islands
28 December 2019 | Anegada Island, BVI
02 December 2019 | Sopers Hole, West End, BVI
24 November 2019 | Christmas Cove
30 June 2019 | The British Virgin Islands
22 May 2019 | US Virgin Islands
05 April 2019 | Puerto del Rey Marina
23 March 2019 | Boqueron, Puerto Rico
21 March 2019 | Mona Island and Puerto Real, Puerto Rico
18 March 2019 | Cap Cana Marina, Dominican Rebuplic
11 March 2019 | Samana, Dominican Republic
05 March 2019 | Ocean World Marina, Puerto Plata, DR
04 March 2019 | Cambiaso, Dominican Republic
02 March 2019 | Big Sand Cay. TCI
17 February 2019 | Leeward Going Through, Provo, TCI
29 January 2019 | Turtle Cove Marina, Provo, TCI
16 January 2019 | Cooper Jack Bight, Provo, TCI
11 January 2019 | Abraham's Bay, Mayaguana Island
01 January 2019 | Conception Island

The USVI

22 May 2019 | US Virgin Islands
Douglas Kisling | Sunny and Breezy
Kelly defended her PHD Thesis on April 10th. It was an impressive presentation, one with the potential to save the lives of many cancer patients, and an occasion to celebrate. We stayed stateside for two and a half weeks visiting family and friends before returning to Puerto Rico on April 23rd.

Puerto del Rey is an impressive facility. It is one of the largest marinas in the Caribbean, with wet slips for 1000 yachts, dry storage racks for sport fishing boats and a large boatyard and dry storage area for hurricane storage. It is within less than an hour from San Juan and major US retail chains. It is also a great place to jump off to the VIrgin Islands!

Just off the east coast of PR are a group of islands which belong to PR, known as the Spanish VIrgins. We would pass through these islands on our way to the US Virgin Islands and then onto to the British Virgin Islands. Our first stop was Isla Palomino just a quick jump from PDR Marina. Palomino is a popular spot for local boaters because it is only 5 miles offshore. On the weekends it is inundated with small powerboats playing load music. From there we cruised to Isla Culebra and anchored behind a reef at the entrance to Ensenada Honda. Culebra has a small town and one of the most beautiful beaches in the world Playa Flamenco.

From our anchorage we could see St Thomas, USVI to our east. Leaving Culebra we would cross the VIrgin Passage, our first deep water ocean passage since we arrived in PR . But this time the passage is only 8 miles wide. But true to form we were facing a head wind with the trade winds blowing briskly. Leaving the passage we passed Sail Rock, a tall triangular rock that resembles a sailboat. Then we tucked in as close to St Thomas as possible to help block the trade winds blowing from the east. Hugging the coast we head to Great Saint James Island and Christmas Cove. Christmas Cove is where we spend our first night out fifteen years ago when we chartered our first catamaran to celebrate Kelly’s High School Graduation. It was fitting to return here after she completed her PHD!

Christmas Cove

We spent a few days at Christmas Cove before heading to St John. Every night we were entertained by a large school of giant tarpon, the brilliant silver sport fish that angler’s crave to catch. Their reflective silver scales would flash as they danced around our underwater lights.

Crossing Pillsbury Sound to St John we first stopped at Caneel Bay where we visited the town of Cruz Bay by dinghy.

Waterfront park at Cruz Bay

For the next two weeks we circumnavigated St John going clockwise around and stopping at: Maho Bay, Watermelon Bay, Haulover Bay, Otter Creek Hurricane Hole, Long Bay, Salt Pond Bay, and Great Lameshur Bay before we crossed our wake by returning to Cancel Bay.

I got to snorkel at Caneel, Watermelon, Otter Creek, and Salt Pond. At Salt Pond we hiked to the top of Rams Head point for the spectacular view.

View of Cay de Cay at anchor from trail up to Rams Head

Everywhere we anchored or moored there were schools of tarpon under the boat. Bait fish were abundant and the sea birds feasted on them in incredible aerial displays.

At our return to Caneel, we took a taxi tour of the island from Cruz Bay to see the views from land of everywhere we had just been. St John is mostly a National Park and once outside Cruz Bay, it is isolated and natural. The views of the water in every shade of blue from the hillsides are amazing. One interesting stop was the Annaberg sugar mill ruins.

Roadside view St John


Annaberg sugar mill ruins

Following our land excursion we stopped at Trunk Bay for a couple of days before leaving the USVI and heading back to Puerto Rico. On May 20th we retraced our route via Culebra, Palomino, and finally Puerto del Rey Marina. We secured Cay de Cay once again for a three week stateside visit with the grand kids.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cay de Cay
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40
Hailing Port: North Palm Beach, FL
Crew: Doug & Karrie
About: Doug and Karrie are enjoying retirement by first cruising the Bahamas and now the Caribbean. Karrie was a Middle and High School English Teacher. Doug was a Design Engineer.
Extra:
Our first "Retirement" cruise was a life long dream. We spent our first winter in the upper Bahamas and Abacos. During our second winter we left Ft Lauderdale and headed for the Exumas, but continued on to Long Island, Cat Island, and Eleuthera (as well as other locations). For our third and [...]
Cay de Cay's Photos - Main
Our sixth season of cruising. This season we are in the Virgin Islands.
30 Photos
Created 16 December 2019
Adventures on our fifth winter season in the Bahamas and Beyond!
52 Photos
Created 13 January 2019
Photos highlighting our fourth winter cruise.
7 Photos
Created 2 December 2017
Photos from our walkabout in Spanish Wells
16 Photos
Created 14 April 2016
Base of the Exumas Land and Sea Park
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2015
Our first stop in the Exumas Land and Sea Park
1 Photo
Created 30 December 2015
We anchored here for two days. There are white sand beaches almost the entire length of the cay.
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2015
We stopped at Chub Cay on our way from Bimini to Nassau while heading to the Exumas.
2 Photos
Created 20 December 2015
Our first retirement winter cruise to Abacos, Bahamas
29 Photos | 10 Sub-Albums
Created 28 November 2014