Cay de Cay

14 May 2020 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
05 January 2020 | British Virgin Islands
28 December 2019 | Anegada Island, BVI
02 December 2019 | Sopers Hole, West End, BVI
24 November 2019 | Christmas Cove
30 June 2019 | The British Virgin Islands
22 May 2019 | US Virgin Islands
05 April 2019 | Puerto del Rey Marina
23 March 2019 | Boqueron, Puerto Rico
21 March 2019 | Mona Island and Puerto Real, Puerto Rico
18 March 2019 | Cap Cana Marina, Dominican Rebuplic
11 March 2019 | Samana, Dominican Republic
05 March 2019 | Ocean World Marina, Puerto Plata, DR
04 March 2019 | Cambiaso, Dominican Republic
02 March 2019 | Big Sand Cay. TCI
17 February 2019 | Leeward Going Through, Provo, TCI
29 January 2019 | Turtle Cove Marina, Provo, TCI
16 January 2019 | Cooper Jack Bight, Provo, TCI
11 January 2019 | Abraham's Bay, Mayaguana Island
01 January 2019 | Conception Island

The BVI with Patti, Zanda & Travis

30 June 2019 | The British Virgin Islands
Douglas Kisling | Sunny, warm
After a wonderful three weeks visiting the grandkids at the Jersey Shore we returned to Puerto del Rey Marina on June 14th. We had guests arriving in the BVI in a few days. Patti on June 18th and Zanda & Travis on the 19th. So we stocked up on essentials and headed east for the British VIrgin Islands!

On this trip we bypassed Palomino and made our fist overnight stop in Culebra. Followed the next day with a 34 NM run past St Thomas to Maho Bay on St John. From Maho Bay on the north side of St John is less than 10 NM across the Narrows to Road Harbour, Tortola, BVI. The Narrows has a strong current and again we were heading into the trade winds. But what should have been a 2-3 hour trip turned into a 5 hour ordeal when the starboard engine alternator belt broke. We limped into Road Harbour on one engine, making less than 2 knots headway. We secured the boat to a mooring ball just off the ferry dock and I replaced the broken belt.

Patti was arriving by ferry from St Thomas in the afternoon, so Karrie and I visited customs and immigration to clear into this British country. The clearing in process turned into another ordeal as the officials gave priority to all the ferry passengers first. We had to wait until several boat loads of incoming passengers cleared in. Only then would they process us. By the time we finished, Patti had arrived and cleared thru. She had to wait for us to finish even tho we had started hours before!

By the time we completed clearing in it was too late to go anywhere so we spend the night in Road Harbour. The next morning we took a quick trip south to the Indians, a great snorkeling spot. The Indians are a group of large “tee pee” shaped rocks with a shear drop off on the west side and a shallow reef on the east side that has abundant tropic marine life. The coral, and fish are vibrant in the crystal clear water.

After lunch we returned to Road Harbour to pick up Zanda and Travis who also were arriving by ferry. With the benefit our our coaching, they breezed thru customs inspite of the surly officials. Not wanting to spend another night in Road Harbour we took off for Peter Island only 4 NM south and were on a mooring ball in Great Harbour before sunset. We had dinner on the Willy T, the floating restaurant and bar that resembles a pirate ship with a notorious reputation for late night bawdy behavior. A good start for everyone’s island vacation!

For the next week we hit all the popular tourist destinations; The iconic giant boulders and caves at the Baths on Virgin Gorda, the low lying Bahamian like island of Anegada famous for its abundant coral reefs and lobster, Jost van Dyke home of world famous beach bars Foxy’s and Soggy Dollar, Cane Garden Bay, the Indians (again) and the Caves on Norman Island.


The Indians


The Baths


Foxy’s

Patti had to leave us on June 22nd, catching a ferry from Great Harbour on Jost van Dyke, while Zanda & Travis stayed until June 26 when we dropped them at the ferry dock back in Road Town. We cleared out of BVI Customs at the same time as we were headed back to the USVI. Once their ferry left we cruised to Druif Bay (Honeymoon Bay) at Water Island off the main harbor in St Thomas.

And then, sadly, we had to return to Puerto del Rey Marina to put the boat up for hurricane season. We had a scheduled haul out date of July 10th with a lot of hurricane prep work to do. We secured a slip on June 30th and set about removing sails, canvas, BBQ grill, etc from the boat. Anything that might blow off had to be removed and stored inside the boat.

A conflicting factor was we had promised Kate Carter that we would be back to the Jersey Shore by July 10th. So I hired a captain to move Cay de Cay from her slip to the haul out along with help from our boat’s caretaker and we made last minute reservations to fly to Florida on July 9th. So we finished prepping the boat and with a lot of anxiety on my part left her for the next four months of summer and storm season.

We would spend those next four months visiting friends, family, reuniting with cousins, National Parks, and sights around our great country. We logged over 10,000 miles on the car and our behinds before the summer was over. It was another amazing journey.

So ended our Fifth Season of cruising aboard Cay de Cay. We finally made it all the way from Florida to the British Virgin Islands, had some incredible adventures along the way, and saw a lot of memorable sights. We will return in the fall to start a new adventure and to make new memories!
Comments
Vessel Name: Cay de Cay
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40
Hailing Port: North Palm Beach, FL
Crew: Doug & Karrie
About: Doug and Karrie are enjoying retirement by first cruising the Bahamas and now the Caribbean. Karrie was a Middle and High School English Teacher. Doug was a Design Engineer.
Extra:
Our first "Retirement" cruise was a life long dream. We spent our first winter in the upper Bahamas and Abacos. During our second winter we left Ft Lauderdale and headed for the Exumas, but continued on to Long Island, Cat Island, and Eleuthera (as well as other locations). For our third and [...]
Cay de Cay's Photos - Main
Our sixth season of cruising. This season we are in the Virgin Islands.
30 Photos
Created 16 December 2019
Adventures on our fifth winter season in the Bahamas and Beyond!
52 Photos
Created 13 January 2019
Photos highlighting our fourth winter cruise.
7 Photos
Created 2 December 2017
Photos from our walkabout in Spanish Wells
16 Photos
Created 14 April 2016
Base of the Exumas Land and Sea Park
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2015
Our first stop in the Exumas Land and Sea Park
1 Photo
Created 30 December 2015
We anchored here for two days. There are white sand beaches almost the entire length of the cay.
1 Photo
Created 27 December 2015
We stopped at Chub Cay on our way from Bimini to Nassau while heading to the Exumas.
2 Photos
Created 20 December 2015
Our first retirement winter cruise to Abacos, Bahamas
29 Photos | 10 Sub-Albums
Created 28 November 2014