Celerity Sailing

Taproots on the Wye River

19 June 2013 | Wye River, Eastern Shore Maryland
June 19- July 1--Crossing the Chesapeake Bay to Eastern Bay was rough....wind out of NE and blowing steady 15-20 with gusts to 25 knots. Handkerchief of jib to control rolling...was surfing at 7+ knots. Very glad to get some protection when rounded point at Bloody Point Bar lighthouse! Was a ways up the Wye River to Ed and Alice Sealings' house (Bud Sealing's brother and sister-in-law). River was amazingly deep, windy and scenic, lined with gorgeous homes on one shore and protected wooded land on the other. Numerous small work boats with men onboard catching crabs by dropping lines from floats with chicken necks as bait. They would drop several of these in a small area, wait some period of time, and then haul them up. The crab grabs hold of the neck and won't let go, even when pulled from the water! Very different way of catching crabs versus the crab pots in NC and elsewhere on the Chesapeake. Tank and Celerity anchored on a small creek, Quarter Creek, across the river from their house. I anchored rather close to some fallen trees and branches along the shore but was well protected when a couple of T-storms blew through. Plus I was not disturbed by all the wakes thrown by crabbers and power boats moving up and down the Wye.
Ed and Alice and Quattro, their black Lab, have a lovely home on a hill overlooking the river. They generously made their dock, a car, WIFI and anything else we needed available to us. We stayed on Wye for delightful 10 days. Made several car trips into Annapolis (about 20 minutes across the Bay Bridge......weird to drive over it after passing under it several times in Celerity). Also drove to Baltimore-Washington airport so Jim could spend couple of hours visiting with a friend who was flying through with few hours layover. We made numerous treks into nearby towns (small towns with no clear demarcation) by crossing the Kent Narrows bascule bridge.....gap in the opening part of the bridge seemed it would be very narrow as we drove over it and the channel was known for its fierce current passing under the bridge...more on that later....We ate breakfast at McDonalds or Denny's several times and ran many errands.
Early one evening, Ed and Alice took us down the Wye and Miles Rivers in their 22 foot powerboat to show us St. Michaels and to share a bottle of chilled white wine....the trip took only about 20 minutes! Gave us some of the history of the area near their home and pointed out some "landmarks" including the huge home (mansion) of the guy who is the sole importer for Subaru cars....his house on the river has a "LOVE" with the letters stacked 2 on 2 (like the Subaru advert) in his yard.
Abigail was always welcome in Sealings' home when we went to their house for dinner or Wifi......she had a blast racing around their large yard with that green stuff (grass) and hanging out with the big dogs, Quattro and Diesel (neighbor's boxer). We stayed on the Wye for 10 days and had many cloudless blue-sky days. Usually a nice breeze to keep things cool enough for good sleeping at night.
Ed and Alice could not have been more generous; we are forever grateful for their hospitality and friendship. They also have a lovely 42ft motor yacht, M/V Sealing, and said they will head to Bahamas in Oct with a stop at Jordan Creek. I look forward to their visit and know the Rats will take good care of them if I am not there (but I hope to be).
Hard to believe that 10 days has slipped by....Jim jokes that he thinks S/V Tank as grown a taproot. I was wondering the same thing about Celerity...Mr. Bruce (my anchor) did not want to come out of the bottom! We hated to leave but the next adventure was waiting.....
Comments
Vessel Name: Celerity
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 382
Hailing Port: Jordan Creek
Crew: Melinda and Abigail
About: Canine first mate.

Who: Melinda and Abigail
Port: Jordan Creek