Sailing Centime

Heidi Love & Dennis Jud

22 October 2016 | Seattle, WA
21 October 2016 | Seattle, WA
18 August 2015 | Taha'a, Coral Gardens
17 August 2015 | Taha'a, Coral Gardens - part 2
17 July 2015 | Taha'a
16 July 2015 | Taha'a Part 2
15 July 2015 | Taha'a Part 3
06 July 2015 | Moorea
03 July 2015 | Moorea
02 July 2015
01 July 2015 | Moorea, FP
29 June 2015 | South Fakarava, French Polynesia
28 June 2015 | South Fakaava
26 June 2015 | South Fakarava, French Polynesia
23 June 2015 | Fakarava, French Polynesia
21 June 2015 | Fakarava Atoll - North
10 June 2015 | Makemo, Tuamotus
04 June 2015 | Bay of Virgins, Fatu Hiva, Marquesas, French Polynesia
21 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva

Spiney Lobster

07 November 2012 | Hog Island
Dennis - Still squally, but mostly nice
We cooked our first fresh Caribbean Spiny Lobster recently. A couple of local fishermen came by the boat the other day offering them up. Heidi bought a 3 pounder ... quite large, indeed, although dealing with them is a bit of a different process than in Maine. And, while they don't have any claws, like Maine lobsters, they have huge tails filled with meat! Their antennae are supposed to be pretty meaty at the base, and I learned also that almost every part of the body is edible, as well, except the lungs and eyeballs. The tomale is always a risk (I loved it in Maine, but passed here ... for now).

Apparently, the best way to cook them is grilling, but of course, that means one has to kill it first. In Maine, I always just threw them into boiling water, but here I had to do what I always avoided in Maine ... stab it in the head, right behind the eyes, and cut down between the eyes, cleaving its head in two. This is supposed to instantly kill it. Well, you've all heard of the "chicken with his head cut off," right? While the lobster didn't crawl all over the galley workspace, it did start to walk away. I was aghast! I thought he was supposed to be dead now! Heidi quickly informed me that it's probably just residual nerve reflexes and he really is dead. She then admitted that was the only way she could actually deal with what she was witnessing. I agreed.

I then promptly pulled off his tail, as instructed by an expat working on our teak at the time, so as not to contaminate the tail meat with the black liquid that would surely flow from his body, and cut it in half for grilling. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture of the intact lobster before I did all that damage, so for picture viewing, parental guidance is advised, but the tails do look quite yummy!

Back to Heidi's proclamation that the movement was indeed nerve reflexes. I proved that one correct. Right before I basted the tails with butter and set them grilling, I had cut off the two large antennae to cook (hence their absence in the photo) and get the meat from the base area. I stood in shock as the two four-inch pieces of antenna (they were originally about 16" long to the tips) set on the grill, each slowly twitching on the grates as if they were dancing together. Wow! But the tails were delicious! Next time, we'll be a little more organized about the entire process.

Cheers
Dennis
Comments
Vessel Name: Centime
Vessel Make/Model: 43.6 LOA Shearwater 39
Hailing Port: Portland, Maine
Crew: Heidi Love and Dennis Jud
Centime's Photos - Main
Panama, so far, then into the Pacific
No Photos
Created 25 December 2014
Random shots of our adventure so far in the Caribbean, plus some from before we left and on the way to Tortola.
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2012
From landlubbers to Cruisers in the making
3 Photos
Created 4 February 2012