The projects are done! Time to hit the road
25 August 2016 | Puerto Escondido, BCS, Mexico
The cockpit with its fresh new coat of KiwiGrip
Terry sanded and prepped the cockpit seats for the KiwiGrip, while I set up shop at the nearby hotel and sewed up a new sailcover for Cetus.
He'd already removed the old teak from the cockpit early in the month, so it only took him a couple days to get everything sanded and patch some bad spots. He then put a coat of white paint over it to ensure the KiwiGrip (also white) wouldn't have any dark spots showing through.
Meanwhile, back at the hotel, I cut out the panels and began sewing the 18 foot long sailcover. That's why it was important to me to have more space to work on this project than I have on the boat.
To simplify making the sailcover I had purchased a kit from Sailrite which worked out great. They sent the fabric pre-marked with the pattern as well as all the thread, zipper, snaps, bias tape along with some easy to follow instructions.
I was able to finish the sailcover the day Terry finished the cockpit prep, so on the 3rd day we combined our forces and put the KiwiGrip down in the cockpit -- then left the boat to give it a full day to dry.
We'd already moved our clothes and everything we would need on our drive north off the boat so on the forth day we went back to the boat just to check everything out and put the final touches on putting her away for a month and a half.
So Cetus is sitting safe and snug in a berth in the little Puerto Escondido Marina and we are now on our long drive north.