04 March 2020 | Bahia Salinas, Isla Carmen
The weather forecast for yesterday called for the west winds to continue until mid day, but they would be turning north by late afternoon
so it was time to leave Bahia Cobre that is open to the north. But when?
It had been very comfortable in Cobre the night before and the west winds didn't gust over 15 knots, but on the morning net we heard
that it was quite a different story with gusts in the 30s! So we knew that even though things seemed calm in our protected little cove
things could be quite different when we rounded the island into the more open waters of Bahia Salinas so we waited until about noon to
start the short (4 miles) journey south.
It all remained quiet and calm until we rounded the point and were greated by 3 foot choppy white capping seas coming from the west!
Yikes! Had we come too soon? Should we turn back?
We could see a couple other boats anchored where we were headed on the other side of the bay and it did look calmer over there
protected by the hills, so all we decided to keep plowing forward -- after all the wind would be switching in the afternoon........ we hoped.
As we traveled the winds were lessening and the white caps disappearing so we were feeling happy with our decision to stay the course,
and then when we were about 10 minutes away from where we planned to anchor the wind suddenly switched to the north! Right on
schedule, just as predicted!
So we dropped the hook in 11 feet of water and enjoyed a pleasant afternoon with 10 to 15 knots of wind keeping us in a comfortable
position which continued on through the night. We lucked out again!
The plan is to stay here for the next couple days until another wind shift is predicted and then we'll move on.