23 September 2022 | Baja California Mexico
The beautiful Rumorosa mountain pass on Hwy 2D
Well this time I really got behind on my updates! Yikes! I didn’t even get to part 3 of our travels north about Rosie the traveling cat.
It’s been so long we are already heading south after enjoying 2+ months staying at Carly’s house. So roadtrip Rosie is traveling again!
The time flew by even though we got very little visiting in. My two surgeries (both very successful!) one to clear excessive floaters from my right eye (I can read easily again) and the other to remove two small basal cell carcinomas from my nose kept us pretty close to home to avoid contracting COVID. I couldn’t take a chance on that because the surgeries would have been cancelled and who knows when we could reschedule.
Terry continued to keep busy with yardwork and trailblazing at Carly’s and after my last follow up with the plastic surgeon who took care of the holes in my nose we started to plan our departure.
We first planned to leave September 8th, but then along came Hurricane Kay blasting up the Baja coast with 70 knot winds and a deluge of rain. The flood waters tore up the Mexican Highways washing out bridges and causing roads to colapse as they were undermined. And rock slides covered the mountain passes. The roads were impassable for several days.
So we delayed our departure and everyday the conditions improved with workers getting repairs done as quickly as they could (after all Hwy 1 is their life line for receiving supplies).
Finally the reports on FB groups on Baja as well as friends that braved the drive down were positive enough we finally set out on the long drive on September 18th — Terry’s Birthday!
In Oregon we left I-5 for our favorite route Hwy 395 in the Eastern Sierra’s. What a beautiful traffic free drive that is! And we didn’t see any of the wildfires that had been plaguing California! We even enjoyed some cooling rain for a day or so.
And this morning we traveled into Mexico at the Tecate border crossing. We got the green light so we were quickly on our way. By noon we’d reached our destination and enjoyed a relaxing afternoon in San Felipe and preparing for leg two in Mexico traveling to Guerro Negro.
So far so good and our plan is to reach Puerto Escondido on Sunday. We will spend a week at Hotel Tripui as we put Cetus back together again and unload all the supples we brought down with us.
I’ll do another update once we get to Cetus and see how she made out during the storm. We’ve already seen pictures and had a report from our friend George who flew down last week to check their boat out, but we’re interested to see inside and check out the batteries and such.
So we are close, but it will still be over a week until we finally get to move back aboard — then we will finally be home 🤩.