ChaliVentures in the Med

20 December 2016 | Alexandria, VA
06 September 2015 | Canton, Baltimore, MD-Anchorage Marina
11 July 2015 | Gibraltar
09 June 2015 | Cartagena, Spain
23 April 2015 | Cartagena & Granada Spain
20 August 2014 | Cartagena, Spain
14 July 2014 | Valencia, Spain
30 May 2014 | Port Roses, Spain
06 June 2013 | Arbitax, Sardinia
07 April 2013 | Marina di Ragusa, Sicily
22 September 2012 | Marina di Ragusa, Sicilia
12 August 2012 | Gaeta, Italy
17 June 2012 | Menton, France
13 May 2012 | Sanary sur Mer, France
01 April 2012 | Barcelona, Spain

ChaliGram 12-3 Rerun: La Belle France

13 May 2012 | Sanary sur Mer, France
Alison
Hello dearest friends and family,

Most of you won't know that shortly after sending out my last ChaliGram on April 1, Chuck questioned our cruising plan, so......... typical of our lifestyle, it CHANGED! Instead of heading southeast to the Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Minorca, etc) then to Sardinia, Corsica and finally Sicily, we decided to head NORTHEAST .... back to France, which we loved so much last year. However, we'll only be along the French coast til about mid-June, so we're hitting our favorite spots we discovered last year and will try out a couple of new ones. Then.... instead of turning around at Menton -- the last harbor town in France -- we'll continue to cruise along the Italian coast starting with San Remo. We think. We now have TWO rendezvous' with land traveling friends/family in July and August, so being on mainland Italy makes life a lot easier. Then it''ll just be a question of how we go to Sicily, but it'll PROBABLY be over to the east coast of Sardinia, then down and over -- with a quick stop in Tunisia first to re-start our EU VAT (tax) clock (the boat can only be in the EU for 18 months at a time).

SO! We finally left Barcelona on April 29th and spent a couple of days up the coast in Blanes. From there, we did an easy, uneventful and pleasant 160 mile passage -- about 28 hours or so -- crossing the Golfe du Lion. Happily, everything worked: new mainsail, the watermaker (HOOORAY FOR CHUCK!!!), engine and refrigerator. I just love it when that happens! We landed in lovely La Ciotat where we stayed a week. It's a real working town, and has open air markets 2x week, a laundromat, a good grocery store, lots of restaurants, and.... the old port is cheap! Last Sunday they were practicing their (water) jousting.... a popular competition along the French coast. It's the 3rd time we've visited there. It's the kind of town, we'd love to be able to secure a permanent berth and LIVE there.... but alas, the waiting list for a berth is 9 years long!!! Now we're in beautiful Sanary sur Mer, a mere 10 miles to the east of La Ciotat, where we visited last September and fell in love with the place. Too bad it's so damned expensive, because we'd love to stay here for much longer than the 4 days we've already paid for. Of course, with tomorrow's forecast for a gale in western provence, we may end up staying another night anyway. There's so much "wait and see" to our lives. Last September, we met a lovely British couple, Peter (Ashdown, world renowned champion race car driver from the late 50's/early 60's) and June who own a house down here. Well! They're back for the spring, and we've had a couple of lovely social gatherings together. We just returned from their gorgeous home where we were treated to lounging around their pool before a delicious lunch of BBQ'd kebabs, chicken drumsticks and lambchops, roasted veggies and salad. YUMMMMMMMMM. It's amazing how much better food tastes when someone ELSE cooks it, isn't it? What a treat! Zoey was stimulated the entire time we were there wandering in their garden and sniffing everything! Not only did she NOT sleep -- which is her usual past-time -- but she was active ALL AFTERNOON. I had to carry our little old 94 year old dog (she's 13.5 in human years) back from their house to the boat. And now...she is crashed! not moving. Little lamb still THINKS she's a 6 year old. Towns are beautiful, but it's really the social events -- the PEOPLE -- that are the real difference makers in how we feel about a place.

SUNDAY: Happy Mother's Day to all you Mothers. It's a beautiful day in Sanary, albeit very windy with quite a bit of chop in the water...soooooooooo, we decided to stay another day. We just got back from the Sunday morning food market and picked up some scrumptious fresh made genovese pesto raviolis which i'll cook up for dinner tonight.... also picked up some coffee beans, and delicious gruyere cheese. yumyumyum.

I haven't taken that many photos since we took so many last year of the same places, but can't send this out with SOME pictures, can I????

https://picasaweb.google.com/109427354797294807716/ChaliGram123RerunLaBelleFrance?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLjOpaPppK-9Cg&feat=directlink

Love, Alison, Chuck and Zoey



Alison Spinney
Living the Dream in Med-France
OnBoard ChaliVentures 3
Comments
Vessel Name: ChaliVentures III
Vessel Make/Model: a 1987 Tashiba 40
Hailing Port: Annapolis, Md
Crew: Captains Chuck and Alison Spinney (our precious crew mate of almost 18 years, Zoey the Jack Russell Terrier became an angel on Sept. 12, 2016) :-(
About:
Retired in 2003 at the lofty young ages of 58 and 51 from US DOD and IBM in Washington, DC; Explored the east coast of the USA from Maine to Florida and the Bahamas and back to the Chesapeake from 2003-2004. In May-July of 2005 we crossed the Atlantic (St. [...]
Extra:
2015 was our big transition year: After 10 years cruising and exploring almost every country in the Mediterranean, we decided to take advantage of a last minute Sevenstar Shipment from Gibraltar to Philadelphia. As such we are back in the USA during the summer for the first time in 10 years, and [...]

ChaliVentures from the Mediterranean to the Chesapake Bay

Who: Captains Chuck and Alison Spinney (our precious crew mate of almost 18 years, Zoey the Jack Russell Terrier became an angel on Sept. 12, 2016) :-(
Port: Annapolis, Md