ChaliVentures in the Med

20 December 2016 | Alexandria, VA
06 September 2015 | Canton, Baltimore, MD-Anchorage Marina
11 July 2015 | Gibraltar
09 June 2015 | Cartagena, Spain
23 April 2015 | Cartagena & Granada Spain
20 August 2014 | Cartagena, Spain
14 July 2014 | Valencia, Spain
30 May 2014 | Port Roses, Spain
06 June 2013 | Arbitax, Sardinia
07 April 2013 | Marina di Ragusa, Sicily
22 September 2012 | Marina di Ragusa, Sicilia
12 August 2012 | Gaeta, Italy
17 June 2012 | Menton, France
13 May 2012 | Sanary sur Mer, France
01 April 2012 | Barcelona, Spain

Chaligram 15-4: Chesapeake Bay, Maryland, USA

06 September 2015 | Canton, Baltimore, MD-Anchorage Marina
Alison
Hello dear friends and family,

Well, a lot has happened since my last ChaliGram wayyyyy back on July 11, written from Gibraltar, announcing that we were shipping our boat back EARLY and right there from Gibraltar. At the time we still had about 100 logistical challenges in front of us...

The loading onto the big ship went ok, with only minor damage sustained, and which has now been fixed; the changed flights back to the USA finally all came together; meeting the boat 2 weeks later in Chester, PA and unloading her there went smoothly. We anchored out that first night right under the take off path for Philadelphia Airport, so we were understandably anxious to get underway to some peace and quiet the next morning, to escape the Delaware River, traverse the 15-mile Chesapeake and Delaware Canal and FINALLY.... arrive in the Chesapeake Bay. MY! What a difference from Mediterranean coastlines! NO MOUNTAINS was the first thing that struck us; and, the Chesapeake, being one of the world's largest estuaries is naturally rather muddy brown, compared to the relatively blue, clear waters of the Med; And shallow! Our first night at anchor in the Bohemia River in the northern Bay itself, we tiptoed into 8' of water, yes, 8 FEET, not 8 meters, and not expecting a big tidal change, found ourselves sitting in the mud in 5' when the tide went out. (Our boat draws 6'. oops.) No worries, because it's all mud; no rocks. There might not be any mountains, but there ARE lots of green, lush trees. Another big difference is that there are clouds and rain during the summer here!! Our experience in the Mediterranean is that it rained between October-April, and then (usually) NOTHING except clear blue skies the rest of the time.

As I type this, we are sitting in a marina in Baltimore, Maryland in the lovely neighborhood of Canton. They sure have re-developed this historic district in the last 12 years!!!! It's WONDERFUL! We can walk to everything we need: supermarket, hardware stores, a west marine boat supply place, super duper ice cream, hair salons, and a zillion restaurants! ... just like when we were in Cartagena, Spain, or Cannes or Menton or Barcelona, or, or, or....many other Mediterranean old port towns. AND...... it's only an hour's drive from our apartment in Alexandria, Virginia. So, for the time being, we're using this as our home base and driving back and forth.... unloading 10 years worth of stuff we felt we couldn't live without while in Europe. After our daughter Sammy's wedding on Oct. 17, we'll sail ChaliVentures about 70 miles south to a boatyard in Solomon's Island, Maryland on the Patuxent River. She needs quite a bit of serious work done according to the marine surveyor who just examined her, so she'll be spending her winter on the hard. It was rather depressing and alarming to hear the marine surveyor rattle off all the things that needed to be replaced..... Made me feel like we were lucky we hadn't sunk alREADY, and a damned good thing we didn't try sailing her back!

During our first weekend here in Baltimore, Sammy and Brian (soon-to-be son-in-law) drove up from Washington, DC to celebrate our arrival with our first crabfeast in over 11 years. yahooooo. Those crabs were as delicious as I had hoped they'd be. After so long, I was afraid that nothing could live up to my huge expectation.... but Captain James Crabhouse (within walking distance of our boat!) got it done with flying colors! And now 3 weeks later, we're going to have aNOTHER crab feast today with all 3 daughters, Sammy AND Alex (down from New York) AND Christina, Dean and the kids. If only Jon had stayed in Virginia 3 days longer, we could have had all 4 kids at 1 table! But at least we got to see him several times over the last 2 weeks that he was visiting the east coast (from Boulder, CO). So..... our primary reason for returning to the USA is panning out. We're spending more time with our kids!

I'm sitting out in the cockpit with my cup of coffee, enjoying a nice breeze this morning; the humidity is down -- finally!, and the ducks are floating by. Zoey is enjoying lying in her cockpit bed soaking up the sun. Life is GREAT!!!

Wherever you are, hope you're having a perfectly splendid weekend, too!

Love, Alison, Chuck and Zoey


Alison Spinney
Onboard ChaliVentures in the USA
Comments
Vessel Name: ChaliVentures III
Vessel Make/Model: a 1987 Tashiba 40
Hailing Port: Annapolis, Md
Crew: Captains Chuck and Alison Spinney (our precious crew mate of almost 18 years, Zoey the Jack Russell Terrier became an angel on Sept. 12, 2016) :-(
About:
Retired in 2003 at the lofty young ages of 58 and 51 from US DOD and IBM in Washington, DC; Explored the east coast of the USA from Maine to Florida and the Bahamas and back to the Chesapeake from 2003-2004. In May-July of 2005 we crossed the Atlantic (St. [...]
Extra:
2015 was our big transition year: After 10 years cruising and exploring almost every country in the Mediterranean, we decided to take advantage of a last minute Sevenstar Shipment from Gibraltar to Philadelphia. As such we are back in the USA during the summer for the first time in 10 years, and [...]

ChaliVentures from the Mediterranean to the Chesapake Bay

Who: Captains Chuck and Alison Spinney (our precious crew mate of almost 18 years, Zoey the Jack Russell Terrier became an angel on Sept. 12, 2016) :-(
Port: Annapolis, Md