s/v Chanticleer

02 September 2018 | Sailing to Onset
29 August 2018 | Thuya Gardens
31 July 2018 | Anchorage in the Goslings - Chanticleer is the middle boat
26 July 2018 | Bob In Gloucester
23 July 2018 | Offshore on the way to Block Island
17 July 2018 | Sunrise at Reedy Island, Delaware Bay
01 September 2016
30 August 2016
30 August 2016
29 August 2016
29 August 2016
26 August 2016
18 August 2016

Cape May to Block Island

23 July 2018 | Offshore on the way to Block Island
One of our favorite things about cruising is the people that you meet. While in Cape May a man stopped by our boat to say hi to Bob. After some discussion they realized that we actually had met last year in Annapolis at a Waterway Radio Club luncheon. Bruce and Jane Raymond, aboard Cerulean, were also on their way to Block Island and Maine. Our weather window opened on Thursday July 19th and we were off by 6:15 am. As predicted, the first 8 hours or so both the wind and the seas were from the NNE, which caused us to have a hobby horse motion. Not terribly comfortable but not bad. Also as predicted the wind changed direction to the east and then southeast, and the seas settled down. The rest of the trip was much more comfortable. We had a beautifully clear night with amazing stars and a half moon. Although Cerulean was ahead of us we could still sea her taillights through the night. It's a comforting feeling to know that there is someone out there with you. We arrived at Block Island at 2pm, and you might imagine that Block Island on a Friday in July might be a bit busy and it was! We anchored, settled in for a bit, and launched the dinghy for a ride to shore and a walk on hard ground! It's always nice to stretch your legs and body after a long passage. The next morning we took advantage of a rapidly closing weather window and, although still tired from our offshore leg from Cape May, we motorsailed up Buzzard's Bay to Onset. Onset is at the west end of the Cape Cod Canal, and we wanted to be able to stage ourselves to continue north to Maine as soon as possible. The weather window closed, so as of today (Monday, July 23nd) we have been at a mooring in Onset for the past 3 days. This has given us the opportunity to accomplish a few boat chores (oil change, repair the bow light, etc.). If the forecast holds, we should be able to move on tomorrow, possibly to Scituate. Weather drives us forward or holds us in place. You learn pretty early on to respect it and listen to warnings.


Comments
Vessel Name: Chanticleer
Vessel Make/Model: Endeavour 42
Hailing Port: Tipers Creek, Virginia
Crew: Pat and Bob Sikora