Adventures of Chapter Two

17 March 2017 | Coast of Florida
17 March 2017 | Coast of Florida
22 November 2016 | Las Vegas, Nevada
13 November 2016 | Florida Coast
26 October 2016 | Fort Myers, Florida
05 October 2016 | Burnt Store Marina
12 September 2016 | Burnt Store Marina
30 August 2016 | Coast of Florida
23 August 2016 | Riveria Marina, West Palm Beach, Florida
05 July 2016 | Siem Reap, Cambodia
27 June 2016 | Soneva Fushi, Maldives
24 June 2016 | Soneva Fushi, Maldives
21 June 2016 | Soneva Fushi, Maldives
17 June 2016 | Phuket, Thailand
08 June 2016 | Chiang Rai, Thailand
06 June 2016 | Chiang Mai, Thailand
01 June 2016 | Ao Po Marina, Malaysia
27 May 2016 | Ao Po Marina, Malaysia
23 May 2016 | Ao Po Marina, Malaysia

The Waiting Continues...

01 June 2016 | Ao Po Marina, Malaysia
Janet
The cyclone winds have died down but we are still experiencing daily bouts of rain which last from 5-15 minutes. This is Thailand’s monsoon season and I can deal with the rain after living in Seattle, it’s the high winds that are frustrating. We met an Australian couple on a boat named Captiva and their boat has been struck by lightning twice in the last month. Once at anchor and the second time in a marina. Luckily, only their AIS was damaged and is easily repaired but they did move back down to Langkawi, Malaysia to renew their visas and return in one month.

Daphne from Blue Wind had to go home because of personal commitments in the U.S. Pat and I agreed to assist Ruy loading the boat at their designated time. Ruy’s visa date was nearing and he was stressed about leaving the country before it expired. We suggested going to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for a day to renew for another 30 days. He booked a round trip ticket to KL on a Saturday and by Saturday night the shipping company said he would load the next day. That’s the way it works, if Ruy had waited the loading could have been delayed and he would been in a bind. The loading went seamlessly and we enjoyed assisting Ruy with the process and he was able to fly back to Brazil on Sunday night. We spent a year with the crew on Bluewind and they became like family so we made it a point to help as much as possible. As we sent Ruy off to the airport, I tried not to become emotional because we will see them in Greece for a September wedding.

Meanwhile, Pat found a broken clamp on the emergency hand bilge pump so he pulled out the replacement clamp and it was also broken. Pat made a trip to the local chandlery and was able to have the correct size made in stainless steel. It’s really stupid to put a plastic clamp on a bilge pump with all of the shaking and vibrating that occurs on this boat. It definitely won’t break again with the stainless steel.
As we wait to be given a date for loading, it becomes increasingly frustrating as we sit and wait and wait and wait. We need to stay in the area because we could be given 48 hours’ notice by Sevenstar Yacht Transport Company. I wouldn’t recommend using this company to anyone at this point because the Florida office is non-communicative, vague and now almost two months behind in setting a definite date. Our local rep, Chris, has been the best source of info but he doesn’t always know what’s happening…just need to vent a little…

On another note, Thailand has closed at least three beaches to tourist because of “excessive tourism”. Up to 80% of the coral reefs have already been destroyed by overzealous tourist, snorkelers and boat anchors. We never anchor on a coral reef but local boats will drop anchor anywhere as long as they can get the tourist ashore. I’m happy to see the Thailand government finally making an effort to preserve their reefs…it is almost too late! We visited Thailand 10 years ago and it was absolutely stunning but since the rebuilding after the tsunami, it has been slowly decimated by “excessive tourism”. While the beaches are still beautiful, the trash and lack of vibrant coral reel life makes it disappointing. I would recommend visiting Indonesia, Malaysia or a few other remote areas so that you’re not wasting time and money on a vacation that fails to live up to your expectations.
Comments
Vessel Name: Chapter Two
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 450
Hailing Port: Guthrie, OK
Crew: Patrick Hayes, Janet Hayes, Joshua Hayes
About: Pat, Janet and their son Josh moved from Seattle to live aboard Chapter Two and are looking forward to the Blue Planet Odyssey.
Chapter Two's Photos - Main
Photos from Vanatu 2015
No Photos
Created 5 July 2016
15 Photos
Created 14 May 2015
No Photos
Created 6 March 2015
Pics from our experience at the new construction site as well as our transit.
6 Photos
Created 6 March 2015
photos documenting our upgrades and re-fit as we prep to get the boat ready and capable for long distance blue water cruising.
6 Photos
Created 23 November 2014