s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Where are the Pigs?

04 April 2015 | Staniel Cay
Helen
We left our beautiful paradise Exuma Park around 8:30 and sailed for pretty much the entire trip to Staniel Cay. It was slow at times, but the seas were light and winds around 7-10 knots, with a bright sun reflecting on the waters, twinkling brightly as we sailed. On our approach to the anchorage, we saw the biggest private yachts ever...one even included his own sea plane and another that had a dinghy bigger than our boat. Many boats were anchored outside but we headed as close as we dared to the Thunderball Cave. It was used in making the 007 movie. We dinghied over to the cave at low tide, and each swam inside. You had to be careful not to bump your head as you entered. Robert hit his going in and Chris did the same coming out...Lots of fish. Lots of people snorkeling, some with wet suits and some with video cameras on long sticks. Some people were feeding the fish and it was quite the sight. Came back to the boat and had a very late lunch of leftover home made pizza. Then got in the dinghy and headed to the Staniel Cay marina and yacht club. Lots of boats in the marina. We secured the dinghy and got directions to the hardware store and the grocery stores, but all were closed as the Island had some Easter celebration on the beach. It was a long walk to find out they were closed. However, we had a good amount of exercise. On the way back we stopped at the internet cafe, which was a bar on the water, but the owners were at the beach. We met a French Canadian couple who told us that their wifi connection worked on the front steps. I didn't even take my phone with me, so I didn't get any emails. Everyone else did. Also, Mark updated the blog with some of our pictures. It was much hotter today. We all feel like we got burnt. Mark and Robert hoisted the dinghy and motor. Tomorrow, we may have a short sail to Farmers Cay, but not sure. It was is 55 miles to Georgetown, which is the farthest south we will go. We had a lovely happy hour onboard followed by a light dinner and jello for dessert. Yum! I think it will be an early night as we are all tired out. The heading is in reference to the guide book that stated that pigs swim out to the boat looking for food...we didn't see any pigs in the water. Even as we dinghied to the town and around some of the small rocky islands...none were found. Chris suggested we radio the marina and ask them where the pigs were! We may do that as we head out tomorrow. Some local ladies invited us to their Easter service tomorrow morning, but we will most likely be on the water heading south!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015