s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Back in George Town!

14 December 2017 | George Town, Grand Cayman
Helen
Enjoyed watching the movie, Timeline last night. I don't remember watching it before. It was a very flat anchorage for the entire night as the wind died off. Nice and peaceful. Got up early. Mark did his engine checks while I got breakfast ready. Hauled anchor and there was a large block of clay that came up with the anchor. Mark used the boat hook and scraped it off on route to the marina fuel dock. It was a smooth dockage. There were people getting some tour boats ready and marina staff around, but they did not think to take our line or help us. Mark just mentioned that on this entire trip, no one helps out with docking. We also noticed that as pedestrians in this foreign country, you have to watch as the cars don't give you the right of way. In fact they seem to speed up and turn right in front of you when you cross a street. What's up with that? Spoke to George Town Port Security and received permission to re-enter the harbor. We left Governor's Harbour, a place that we truly loved, around 8:30 and motored out a very flat pass between the reefs. We had already hoisted the main sail, then added the jib. We were flying with top speeds over 8 knots. Got to George Town around 11:30. The dinghy stayed in the water for today's sail. We headed to shore with two bags of laundry on our fold up dolly. That made the trip easier. It was really hot in town. We walked to the closest laundry, only a few blocks from here, but the neighborhood was sketchy. Many dogs barked at us and some tried to run after us, especially one that had a leg injury. It was more a laundry service and dry cleaner. They gave us directions to the Laundromat. We used one large washer ($6 Cayman) and one small washer ($3.50 Cayman) and two dryers were a bargain at $2 each. It took just around an hour to complete our washing and drying. Walked back and it was sweaty weather. No rain although it was in the forecast. Got back to the dinghy dock that was over run with jet skis. Two were tied to the same piling as our dinghy. Made it back to the boat without getting the laundry splashed. It was gentle swells that the dinghy handled well. We will check out first thing tomorrow. That means taking our documents and dinghying to the Government Dock and getting our clearance papers for the next port as well as our spear gun. We will make a last run to the grocery store. The dinghy and motor will be hoisted to their travel positions and head to Panama. We won't have email while on route. However, if you need to reach us, please send us a satellite text. Those come directly to the boat. Did we mention that we love to get them!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015