s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Flying Fish Visit

18 December 2017 | Caribbean Sea - 105 miles to Colon, Panama
Helen
In between our monitoring last night, we watched a black and white Alfred Hitchcock movie that was pre-talkies. Too long and drawn out for me. Took one hour turns at the helm thru the night. Big waves and winds provided an opportunity for a flying fish to get projected thru the cockpit and into our salon, hitting the refrigerator. A few inches over would have hit Helen sleeping on the settee. Mark gave him back to the sea. We saw more high winds at 36 knots early today. Then mostly winds over 20 knots for the rest of today. The waves are at least 20 feet and maybe higher at times. Charabia handles them well but on certain conditions, not sure what is different, a wall of water spills over the cabin roof. Thankfully we have the covers up as they are protecting us. Also, they help at night when we are moving so fast and the breeze is high and steady. We saw very few boats last night or today. One freighter was flagged by our AIS system. They must have changed their course because they were coming directly at us. With these huge waves, it's difficult to see the horizon all the way because we are going up and down. So, it is not easy to see any vessels. Thankful for our gps, AIS and radar. Mark added a quick fix for the one panel that ripped on the sewn line from the bimini. We spent a few hours making water. Mark ran the starboard engine for a while which gives us hot water to take a shower. You haven't lived until you are sailing in 20+ foot seas with the boat bouncing and moving along and you attempt to take a shower. Cooking is also difficult as you have to hold on and the kitchen area does not have hand holds. That may be something we will add before the next long passage. We were successful at making grilled ham and cheese sandwiches that were hot and yummy. WInd has been high all day and currently it is from the ESE at 20-25 knots. Our cruising speed varies from 6-8 knots. Mark saw 12.4 knots at one point surfing down a wave. We further furled the jib to reduce our speed in an attempt to reduce the pounding. Also, our gps indicated we would have gotten to Colon before sun up. Our expected arrival to the outer mark of Colon is now 8:30 a.m. tomorrow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015