s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

A Slow Start to Mexico

04 January 2018 | Gulf of Panama
Helen
Woke up early and we were still rocking as we did all night. The waves were not big but the movement was enough. Had breakfast and prepared the boat to depart. We re-arranged some of the storage areas under the settee. Also removed some weighty boxes from the port forward 1/2 berth. Mark removed a small amount of water in the starboard bilge. Hauled the anchor and left Taboga around 9 a.m.. There were big winds up to 18 knots and with only the jib we were sailing 6+ knots. The winds eased off so we added the full main sail. The wind did not last long. We motor/sailed past many islands that were close to shore. We were still doing okay when we got to an island Mark suggested anchoring beside. However, we were making good speed and kept going. We could see dark skies and rain in different directions. After lunch the seas calmed as did the winds. We passed thru several downpours. Lots of water came down. Thankfully, we added the covers in-between the cabin top and the bimini for protection. I did some laundry and hung it out only to bring it in with the rains and put it back out once the rains ended. The water is almost mirror-like. The clouds are plentiful with many distinctive formations in all directions. It will take us more than 24 hours to get to the south-west corner of Panama. We can see land but are at least 18 miles from the coast. The mountains look volcanic with the clouds right on top. We are making water now that we got away from shore. You would not believe the amount of trash in the waters around Panama. Someone told us that with the 16 foot tides, they push all their trash out to the coast at low tide and let the sea take it away. Many plastic containers and everything else you can think of is out here in this beautiful ocean. We do not have wifi at this time. We will be downloading this blog via the long range radio. There was an interesting thing about Taboga. It had a lovely beach where the ferry dropped off passengers. The beach had beautiful umbrella chairs. But with a 15 foot tide at high tide, most of the beach disappeared and the adjacent island was no longer connected by land. We heard a lot of roosters crowing during the day and early morning. When the school let out the laughter and noises from the children filtered out to the anchorage. There were a few boats on mooring balls that were stored there. We saw an all terrane vehicle plus a couple of trucks. At first we didn't think there were any roads, but there must have been a couple. As we motor along with our main sail full there are some swells now, but nothing much in the way of waves. It could be the wake from the freighter that passed us an hour ago. We will continue overnight and see what the weather forecast holds. It was a relatively cool day by Panamanian standards which meant we only sweated occasionally.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015