s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Anchored in Bahia Barsilito

11 January 2018 | Bahia Brasilito
Helen/Mark
Took turns manning the helm thru the night. It was extremely light winds. Mark dropped the main sail and we motored for a while. Then the wind picked up a bit so we put the main back up and added the jib. The ocean was very flat so it was a comfortable ride. We were also running one of the engines to get some speed. We made good speed thru the day. Somewhere during the early morning the wind shifted to the SW but it was very light up to 5 knots. There was a favorable current giving us a boost for most of the day. At lunch time Mark checked the fuel situation. We had over a half tank which is over 25 gallons. That meant we only used 8-10 gallons and that was running one engine pretty much the whole day and night. Decided by noon that we could not make our destination of Papagayo before dark. So, did some research for other anchorages to stop at overnight. We need to do the check in process and that would have been easy from the Coco anchorage. The best alternative was to anchor at Flamingo which has the best protection. There is a resort and restaurants and as long as we can get to shore via a dinghy dock, we can take a cab to do the customs/immigration process. Otherwise, we will sail to Coco tomorrow. We are flying our 'Q' flag. We have about 6 more miles to go. We can see some other sailboats anchored in the earlier anchorages. The jagged rock faces are impressive as they blend into the beautiful water line. We can see the swells spilling out at the edge of the rocks. Stunning scenery. We actually for the first time, saw two sailboats sailing closer to shore than us. They have already anchored for the day. It was most interesting motor/sailing along this morning. I could see two large birds sitting on the water. As I get closer, I realize that they are sitting on a substantial piece of weathered lumber. So, I put the autohelm in standby mode and missed them completely. The birds didn't even move. Saw our share of birds, flying fish, jumping fish and dolphins. It was a beautiful smooth ride on the ocean today. We could see the shoreline mountains and outer islands. In places, we could see buildings and towns, either along the mountain or on the brown colored beaches. Mark just added the second engine to get us to the anchorage faster. It added almost another knot of speed. Also of note is that Costa Rica is on the Central Time Zone. As we got closer we could see that Flamingo did not have any protection from the swells that were coming in from the SW so we anchored in Bahia Brasilito which is just the next bay over but is protected by the headland and should be calmer and also offers protection from the north if the wind picks up there as predicted.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015