s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Bureaucratic Hell

12 January 2018 | Bahia Brasilito
Mark/Helen
Every perfect day starts with being pooped by a wave while trying to beach the dingy. From there things when down hill or not depending on your point of view. The locals were very friendly and helpful in getting our dingy out of the water, carrying it up the beach so we could lock it off to a tree and finding a driver to take us to the port captain to clear in. The driver turned out to be Stuart a surfer dude / entrepreneur who's father was from California and spoke good English and had a 4x4 Hyundai. It was quite and experience riding with Stuart. We saw some really rough terrain that included fording a river that was a good 2+ feet deep. Also stopping at a local convenience store so Stuart could buy a lighter and smoke some weed to chill out. It was only about 10 miles but took a good hour plus to get there. Once we got to the Port Captains' office we found out what we did was illegal despite the cruising guide stating that stopping at various anchorages and taking a taxi to clear in was perfectly acceptable. It was not. So before the port captain would deal with us they sent us to immigration to be processed. There they threatened to lock up our driver for transporting illegal aliens and us too. Stuart again saved the day translating as he did at the port captains office. Immigrations was good enough to forgive our transgression and gave us 30 days in country versus the usual 90 since we had not landed at the appropriate port. Back to the port captains office and there they stated we would need sworn statement taken by a lawyer before they could process us in. Stuart again was a tremendous help and found us a lawyer that would do the statement in 1 hour. We went and had lunch and got an oil change for Stuart's truck and went back to collect the affidavit. Back to the port captain and some more paper work was filled in and they gave us the papers for customs. Off to the airport another 30 minute drive to find the customs office outside the airport, which we did but it was closed. It was now 2 pm and the port captain office closed at 3 pm so there was no way of getting all of this done today. Stuart drove us to the airport and managed to get a customs agent to come outside the arrivals gate and take our paperwork for a temporary import permit for Charabia. This was issued after a 30 minute wait standing outside the passenger exit. So the terms of our temporary permit from the port captain is that we cannot move the boat until we receive the local Zarpe from them which will be Monday morning. So we must remain in Bahia Brasilia until then. Met several really nice folks and Stuart's translating was invaluable. The bureaucracy here is enough to drive anyone crazy. Thank you, Stuart!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015