s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Big Wind and Rough Seas!

24 February 2018 | Pacific Ocean on route to Hawaii
Helen/Mark
Pearl Harbor was entertaining. It's been years since we last saw this movie. I didn't remember a lot of it. It was too long and I kept falling asleep but we watched it thru the end and got to bed late for cruisers. I slept badly, waking up many times. Then it felt like a big power boat went by with a huge wake. However, it was just the waves from the ocean coming into our anchorage. By morning they died down and it wasn't rocking any more. We got up around 7 and decided to hoist the main, then haul anchor and get going. We were not able to add the jib sail as the wind was the wrong direction. The main was clanking so we dropped the main and just motored. As we changed course the wind became favorable. I was up on deck helping Mark raise the main again. The halyard was replaced before we left but we are not happy with this West Marine rope. It keeps wanting to twist. We had to drop it down several feet to untangle it. Just as we did this we could hear a whacking sound. About 50 feet from our boat was a huge whale with it's tail out of the water flipping it back and forth. Mark ran to grab the wheel and take it off the autohelm in case the whale didn't move. But the whale must have heard our engines and dove down, out of our way. The main was hoisted and we were able to sail. Mark kept one reef point in the main sail. We sailed with full jib and at times were making 8+ knots. This lasted well into the afternoon. Mark was not feeling well. Not sure if it's the lumpy seas or the hot dog he ate the other nights in La Cruz. It was a gray day with many clouds and little sunshine. The breeze has been cool and I have worn a jacket all day. We both changed to jeans for the night air will be that much cooler. The seas are 4-6 feet for the most part. The curious thing was that we were sailing fast and then the wind would die for a few minutes, and then we would resume our speed. This happened many times. Then Mark said we needed to reef the jib sail, so I let it off as he furled it some. At the moment we have a double reefed main and a half reefed jib and our speed is 5-6 knots. At times is varies from 3 to 7 knots. We can't complain when we are sailing. Every few waves are sizable. Not sure if we are out of Mexican waters as we can see two very large islands about 30 miles north of us. We have 2720 more miles to go. We have moved over 60 miles closer so far today.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015