s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Crossing to Maui!

31 March 2018 | Pacific Ocean on route to Hawaii
Helen/Mark
We anchored in a tiny anchorage at the top of the Big Island. The bright moon helped us to see the rocky coast line with waves crashing into the rocks. As we anchored it seemed like we were too close to shore Mark checked the distance which was around 300 feet, before we dropped the anchor in 25 feet of water. We set an anchor alarm in case the anchor dragged and went to sleep. We both woke up multiple times. Finally by 6 am, we hauled anchor and headed across the channel to Maui. The wind was light and pretty much on the beam. We hoisted the main and full jib. Our speed varied from 4-5 knots. After a couple of hours, Mark took down the main as the wind changed directions to behind us. We decided to fly the spinnaker, and everything was okay, but the wind was not consistent. We ended up dropping the spinnaker, re-hoisting the main and jib. Small waves to begin with gradually got bigger. Not as big as yesterday's waves. Our speed decreased with less wind, so we started one engine. We changed our plans to stop in the first anchorage at La Perouse Bay. We arrived just after 1 pm just as the wind piped up. Big gusts of wind. We dropped the anchor in 25 feet of water, pretty much in the middle of this bay. We can see a high mountain range to our port side. Lots of trees and greenery on the mountain. The shore line is all rocky with the swells crashing into them and splashing salt water up high in the air. We can see a parking lot with some vehicles. It must be tourists coming to climb the rocks. There were a couple of buildings right at the end of the point and we could see people climbing the rocks in that direction. The water is pretty clear here. Not sure we saw any clear water in the Big Island. The clouds were totally covering the mountains in haze as we entered this bay. There was a line of 8 wind turbines going up the hill and turning very slowly. The nearest mountain to our anchorage has clouds permanently attached to the top of them, obscuring the view to the mountain top. Looks like black lava fields in-between the green vegetation, and all the way down to the water's edge. The breeze turned much cooler. Salon temperature is 83 degrees and we have one of the galley hatches open. It's very overcast and no sunshine at 4 pm. We thought about taking the dinghy down and headed to shore, but the waves are crashing into rocks the whole way around this bay. Behind us, we can also see a long elongated mountain island just offshore called Kahoolawe which is off limits due to unexploded ordinance from when it was used for target practice by the navy. The howling winds are echoing thru our mast and making me cold. We are both tired from our short sleep last night and the time on the water today. The sea air most definitely makes you tired. Tomorrow, we will sail 25 miles to a city called, Lahaina. They are supposed to have some free mooring balls to secure to. Then we will do some land exploring.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015