s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

A Little of Honolulu's Charm and Lots of Luck!

18 April 2018 | Phoenician Boat Yard
Helen
Up early as the boat yard crew starts early. The noise level is enough to wake up anyone. After breakfast, Mark started working on running new cable for the wind instrument, since that was what the experts at Raymarine suggested. It pretty much took all morning to feed the cable thru all the various areas on the boat. Plus another visit by Mark into our settee storage locker. In the end, that was not the cause of the wind instrument not working. So that meant it was in the display unit itself. After some research, Mark found 4 in stock at West Marine. I worked on going thru our storage boxes of provisions and adding them to a spreadsheet. This will help in determining what else we need to buy for the next leg of our adventure. We stopped at McDonald's for lunch so Mark could use their wifi to do more research on wind instruments. We selected breakfast foods. I haven't had an egg McMuffin in a very long time. Mark got the breakfast meal. They said it would include hash browns and a drink of his choice, which he selected coffee. I checked the bill and they charged for the meal plus an additional 59 cents for his coffee. I went up to order us an ice cream and asked why there was an extra charge. Apparently, our order came with a medium coffee instead a small, which was the reason for the extra charge. She talked to the manager who came over and promptly refunded our whole meal! I was not expecting that. Then she proceeded to give us two free ice creams. What a lucky day so far! We drove to the only West Marine in Honolulu. It took time to get someone to take our order. Then there was only one unit in the store. It was supposed to include the cable to connect the old Seatalk to Seatalk NG (next generation). However, there was no cable in the box. Mark figured he could either manage or order another cable, so we bought the unit with a good discount. Another lucky part of our day. While we were heading to the check out, our lady had to call the police because another customer was caught shop lifting. The thief ended up getting out of the store via their emergency door just before the police showed up. We think the guy was one of the many homeless people that live close by the water front. They have makeshift homes all along some streets. It was so sad to see that. We expected much more from Hawaii. We headed back to the boat and Mark installed the new unit, minus the one cable to make it work. He just ordered the cable and it will be shipped to the marina by Tuesday. We headed over to shower, stopping at the Brick Oven for a very delicious pizza for dinner. They even had free wifi and several big screen tvs with various basketball games playing. Then we headed to the marina for our showers and back to the boat. Mark parked the car beside the boat and as I went to climb up, I noticed that we didn't have a ladder at all. Mark located a stack of tall ladders by the office but they were all chained together. There is a boat on the other side of the drive way with a couple that we have not seen here before. They were painting the hull of their boat in the dark with a spot light shining...and they have our ladder. The General Manager told us earlier that he observed me climbing down using the step ladder and was worried that I was going to fall off. So, he won't be happy that they took our ladder. They had another similar ladder, which Mark dragged over to our boat. When he started to climb, it looked pretty unstable. He found a couple pieces of wood and secured it enough so that we could climb up. Life in a boat yard! Since it's after midnight on the East Coast, we would like to wish my sister, Chris, a very Happy Birthday!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015