s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Squalls and Wind Shifts

09 May 2018 | Pacific Ocean on route to French Polynesia
Helen/Mark
We ended up motoring thru 7:30 pm last night. Our night watch shifts were off because I stayed up later, allowing Mark a short rest. The seas were greatly reduced as we sailed around 5 knots overnight and today. The sky was clear for a change and stayed that way until sun rise. The stars were still visible. For the past 7 nights, my second sleep was during the sunrise. So, it was a nice change to see the sky become lighter and brighter as the sun rose. Just as the sun made its' appearance, a thick group of clouds blocked it from my view. The rest of the sky had a pink and orange hue. Once light, I could see all the rain bands around us. They slowed us down as squalls approached, taking the wind strength away. Then the wind would shift and pick up in strength and try to push off our course. There must be some very strong currents under us. We had to readjust our course a few times. Our salon remains at 86 degrees. It has been a hot and sweaty day. When it wasn't raining, we opened the front hatch. Had a lot of sunshine, but equally saw many rain bands some of which crossed our path. An unusual observation is that our depth reads off soundings, but every so often we get a reading. The closest was about 15 feet. Not sure what is down below our boat as nothing is visible above the water surface. It was nice to have a hot shower mid-afternoon. The weather held, although the wind was variable. Mark selected Indiana Jones - Crystal Skull movie, along with popcorn. We had to retrieve a new container of popcorn from under the port side. Good thing I had logged all the boxes and we knew where to look. Mark's sinuses were bothering him. We both searched the boat for his neti poti. I know he wouldn't have left Jax without it. Since we couldn't find it, he was able to modify his water pick to flush his sinuses. Hopefully, that was all he needed. We actually ate lunch out in the cockpit for a change. It's been too rough to do that on this trip so far. The ocean was a beautiful blue color in the bright sun light. There were small swells all day long. So, not as much movement on Charabia. Mark worked on the port side diesel leak. The fuel is turned off as its gravity fed and he's waiting for it to drain out. That may be a tomorrow project. I spent some time cleaning. Was able to wash the floors and clean house. Thanks to everyone who sent us satellite messages. I spent some time listening to the radio, or rather, trying to find an English speaking channel. We are too far from Hawaii to pick up our normal channel. So, we are news- less today. The only channels that came in well are high channels and most of them are Chinese or Spanish. I didn't understand them and gave up searching. I started reading a new Kindle book. Then it was putting me to sleep on my watch shift, so I changed to another book. We have 520 nautical miles to the equator. It has seemed like we slowed down but at least we are making progress. The breeze is cool coming in thru the salon hatch this evening. We have dined already and I will be taking my leave for my first sleep, shortly. It just started raining again. The boat speed increased to 8 knots. Yeah! Mark says 'short lived' with the squall. The wind increased to over 20 knots. Mark had to come off course to keep the sail full. I always seem to get a better sleep when it's raining. Are we still in the ITCZ? It felt like it today although the forecast say it moved south of us from yesterday so we will get to see it again. So just as quickly as the rain began, it is pretty much over. The big winds have died down too. I can still hear some sprinkling. So much for star gazing tonight.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015