s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Birthday at Sea!

12 May 2018 | Pacific Ocean on route to French Polynesia
Helen/Mark
Motor/sailed all night. The birthday boy requested French Toast for breakfast, so that was easy to do despite the rocking of the boat. We finally got some favorable wind around 11 am. Unfurled the jib and we were sailing. Mark was still on his 2nd sleep and the extra speed across the lumpy seas woke him up early. Mark was able to work on the diesel fuel leak during the bulk of his two night shifts. He tried to fix the old fuel filter assembly but the threads on one of the bleeder screws was stripped. He finally replaced the entire assembly with the spare that we purchased in Hawaii. That resulted in two leaks which were eventually resolved by cleaning and tightening. We are leak free at the moment. We sailed the rest of the day. The wind kept shifting so we tacked a few times. During one of the tacks, the jib sheet caught in the mast wench. I went up to release the line and it pulled with great force catching my right pinky finger. Ouch! I thought it was broken, but just ripped off some skin. Mark got me an ice cube and I was able to keep it from bleeding. It is bruised and sore. Had popcorn and the Star Wars movie, Phantom Menace, to keep us entertained this afternoon. The sun has set. The stars are visible tonight. We had rain all around us for most of the day, but we did not see a drop. I guess we sailed away from the rain bands, or we got lucky. 253 nautical miles to the equator. We did not make much speed when we motored. And when sailing, we got pulled north of east or west of south, away from where we are heading. Currently we are sailing dead south with lighter winds and speed of only 3-4 knots. At least we are heading in the right direction. Mark had a great birthday on the Pacific Ocean. Thanks for all the satellite messages. They were most appreciated. I surprised him with a brownie birthday cake with our hot lunch! We had some entertainment from several birds. One boobie looked like he was planning on landing on the fore deck, and took a number of swipes during the day. He didn't succeed. We must have scared him off or the jib sail was in his way. Saw many other birds, gracefully soaring so very close to the water surface, looking for food way out here.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015