s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Mystery AIS Day 12 - Saturday, May 12, 2018

13 May 2018 | Pacific Ocean on route to French Polynesia
Helen/Mark
Motor/sailed thru the night. Turned off the engine at 7 am and found our speed held. We did not see any rain overnight or today. Enjoyed watching the moon rise at the end of my first helm watch. It's just a sliver in the dark sky but it sure does light the waters. My second sleep found me airborne and being pushed around with the bashing waves. It really surprised me that the waves were not that big, surely not over 6 foot, yet our boat was tossed repeatedly. I got up early and had breakfast with Mark. Then he went to sleep in the aft cabin. It was bouncy and he did not sleep his entire time. I suggested he try to sleep in the cockpit. That seemed to work out better. I put together a hot lunch which we enjoyed outside around the cockpit table. There was a lovely breeze there. We didn't open the front hatches as there was too much salt spray from the pounding. Our winds got as high as 20 knots. Our speed stayed pretty constant at 4-5-6 knots. Our course was just East of South. We took turns napping. My swollen feet were elevated when I could. They seem to be much better, thankfully. We decided to watch the movie, Sherlock Holmes, along with some not-so-salty popcorn. I stacked several of our seat cushions in order to elevate my feet. The sun shone all day, glistening over the moving ocean waters. Then Mark noticed a vessel showing on the GPS from our AIS System. He said it was crossing our path in 8 miles and traveling only 1 knot. We could not see anything on the horizon. Mark kept looking. Thinking it was a small boat heading East into the wind, would have explained the slow speed. I decided to call the vessel using the VHF radio, but no one answered my call. There were three of them all together and we passed 2 of them within a couple of miles without seeing any sign of them. We think it could have been a weather station buoy, but nothing was visible as we passed them by. Or perhaps a small solar powered autonomous research vessels, AIS showed a ship name of AIB with some numbers for each one. We were 150 miles from the equator at that point and there is nothing around. Not sure who would have set up something like that. Our speed had diminished to only 3 knots and we talked about starting up one engine. Then the wind shifted a bit and we have 4-5 knots of speed. Wind remains around 15-16. There is 143 more nautical miles to the equator. We did see a large number of birds. Mark took some great pictures of the boobie that kept coming back to our boat. Also saw a number of flying fish. They are so interesting to watch. And so, on day 12, the sun has just set. It's very dark out already. We are getting ready for the dinner hour and then another night on the water. Happy Mother's Day to all! Enjoy and cherish this special day!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015