s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Crossing the Equator! Sunday, May 13, 2018

13 May 2018 | Pacific Ocean on route to French Polynesia
Helen/Mark
The high wind and boat speeds continued with the night helm shifts and into today. Highest wind speed was 25 knots early this morning. I saw a high boat speed of 9 knots. Mostly 7 knots all day. We reefed the jib to a very small amount exposed and it felt like we were flying along. The seas continued to increase. The swells were knocking into our hulls and splashing the deck with salt water. Sometimes, even splashing the tail of the wave over our salon hatches. We enjoyed a lovely hot lunch when Mark finished his second sleep shift. The number of miles dwindled down. We put together celebratory party hats for the crossing. We thought Neptune would like that. Mark is a Shellback, having crossed the Equator as a young 3 year old, on route to Argentina. Apparently, I didn't know that I was a pollywog because I never had the honor of crossing before. Until today! We crossed around 4 pm, toasting Neptune and each other with champagne. We also toasted with some good Canadian Ice Wine! The weather was much the same in the South Pacific. Mark thinks the seas are a little less and the wind is definitely less. We decided to shake out the jib and fly a full sail. That has added two knots to our speed. It's not as rough on the ocean so we are sailing smoothly. We saw many birds again today. Some of the boobies like to fly very close to Charabia. I think they are checking up on us. This is definitely a day to remember. Hope all the mothers enjoyed this special day. Thanks to all those who sent us satellite messages. We love hearing from you. Hoping to find a good radio station with some news. Or maybe, it's just nice to have a break from all of the ongoing issues that face our country and the world. We are 887 nautical miles from Tiputa in the French Polynesian northern Tuamotus islands. Would love to keep up our fast speeds. However, it's been difficult to do much of anything on the boat. Charabia rocked back and forth and up and down on the swells. Sometimes, the crashing waves hit the hull with force and noise. Kind of a banging, bashing sound. When you are sleeping, it actually is loud enough to wake us up. Then trying to cook something is such a challenge. Thankfully, our pot holder works well to keep the pot on the stove. It will most likely take a week to travel the rest of the miles. It all depends on the wind. Enjoy the rest of your day!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015