s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

South Pacific Sailing - Monday, May 14, 2018

15 May 2018 | Pacific Ocean on route to French Polynesia
Helen/Mark
Something of note.- did you know that you weigh less at the equator due to the centrifical forces than you do further North/South but Mark would not let me bring our scale so we have no proof. Our night shifts were uneventful. Our seas stayed pretty constant of being 2-4 foot. We made some great speeds with highest wind of 18 knots. Mostly it was 13-15 knots. Our speed continued at 6-7 knots. We made a record 24 hours, sailing 161 nautical miles. A record for us. The South Pacific has been very good to us. We are sailing on our rhumb line again. Mark was bailing out the water from our dinghy when he discovered a dead flying fish. It is amazing where they end up or even how. Sleep was a challenge since the boat rocked on all the waves we hit. Going fast didn't help with that. Mark had a Chinese Fishing boat show up on our AIS, about 10 miles behind us. We never saw the boat despite attempts with the binoculars. Saw many birds again today. None came close to the boat. They were more of a dark brown color and very graceful flying over the waves searching for fish. Mark's sinuses were bothering him again today. Both of us are also suffering from swollen feet from the heat. We both took turns elevating them on the settee in the salon. Our temperature was up to 85 degrees. We have the front hatch cracked to get some breeze. The nights are cool, weather wise. Even sleeping, requires an extra blanket. At least for me. We took a break and watch Episode II of Star Wars - Attack of the Clones and enjoyed a bowl of popcorn. The sun was out the entire day. And of course when it set, there were mega clouds blocking it. A little color was seen in the clouds around it. The swells picked up thru the day. Some were pretty big and made their presence known by banging on the hulls. Our GPS - AIS system began working after we crossed over the 1 degrees South. It stopped working and didn't like the 0 degrees area. It did not consider 0 degrees to be valid. I say that's a defect! Lots of rocking and bouncing as we move quickly south. We have 713 nautical miles more on our sail to French Polynesia. Our Inreach was not synched so we missed messages when they arrived. Catching up and reading them now. Will respond on one of my night shifts. Thanks for your news. Again, I managed to find a couple of English radio stations, but there was so much interference I really could not make it out. One was a talk show interviewing two ladies who are traveling the world. However, they are flying to the different countries and not sailing. Mark worked on creating a letter to Ray Marine as he is not happy with the way the wind instrument is working - how it's configured. The email won't be sent until we get to F.P.. I did more reading. Played some computer games. Our world is rocking, sometimes that's a good thing. Looking forward to a good night on the water.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015