s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Moorea! Thursday, July 5, 2018

05 July 2018 | Moorea in the Societ Islands in French Polynesia
Helen/Mark
Our last morning in Papeete Marina began with a sunny day and early breakfast. We walked over to Patachou cafe across the street from our entrance gate. I tried to make phone calls but the connection was poor. We decided to sit at a table, ordering coffee and water to drink, plus a French Pastry. It was the best pastry so far and what I remembered from cruising Martinique in the Caribbean. We got emails and checked on our next destination, which we thought was going to be Venus Point. We spoke with the Aussie owner of a catamaran, just a few over from us. Annie recommended another anchorage that wasn't as far. In the end, we decided to go with the wind, and headed to Moorea. We walked thru a few shops and headed down by the market to a small store that sold fresh baguettes as we were out. Walked back to the boat and did some internet research. Annie told us about the Down Under Rally, which we will join as we head from Fiji to Australia. Said good bye to some of our marina neighbors. Colleen offered to get our lines off, which was so nice. We got back to the boat. Mark put in a course and started the engines to warm them up. We took off two of the lines and Colleen, Rick and Ed came by to cast us off...we were so very thankful! We met so many wonderful people in Papeete! As we headed out the channel, Mark radioed Port Control to ask permission to clear out the harbor. The harbor entrance goes past the end of the Airport Runway, so you have to have permission so you don't motor into a 747 landing or taking off. Mark received permission and put fenders and lines away in the anchor locker while I drove. Then the Port Control person called us back to inform us that a Warship was coming in the entrance and to pass them Red on Red. Another thing of note here in French Polynesia is that they do not follow 'Red Right Returning'. It's the opposite. They do use red and green markers, which is good. We motor/sailed with a full jib. We took the jib in just before arriving at the harbor entrance as the wind died. Moorea is close to Tahiti. It's mountainous and visible from there. It looks like a road along the shore and some houses, businesses and resorts. We noticed some houses about half way up the mountain, but none any higher up. It was hot and sunny for our travels today. Mark had a destination in 10 foot of water and that is pretty much where we dropped the anchor. It dug well into white sand. We got into our swimsuits and swam to the anchor. Mark has around 75 feet of chain out. We swam further over to check the depths. It went from 50 to 10 in a matter of a couple hundred feet. There were two boats already anchored. Then one additional boat joined us. There were more boats inside the bay. The problem with anchoring there is that the depths are 70 feet. We will put the dinghy in the water tomorrow and motor over there to check out the small town. They also have a gas dock and we would like to fill up our spare dinghy gas tank. The sunset was spectacular. Beautiful pale orange and pink painted in the sky. The sun hit some clouds right at the horizon, so, no green flash tonight. It's flat waters here with just a little movement. It turned pitch dark very rapidly. We can hear a few noises from shore. Listening to a Cat Stevens cd. Will watch another movie after dinner. We are out of wifi range. Only our Satellite Messaging works here. Thanks for all the emails received. We truly appreciate hearing from you!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015