s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Exploring Cook's Bay in Moorea! Friday, July 6, 2018

06 July 2018 | Moorea in the Societ Islands in French Polynesia
Helen/Mark
I finally finished the murder mystery book I was reading. Mark watched the movie, LA Story. It was after 10 pm before we got to bed. It was still very calm and quiet, with a slight breeze. I find the nights are colder. We were tired and it showed when we didn't get up until 8 am. Wow! After breakfast, I cooked up some more meals and waited for them to cool. Packed them away in the freezer. We have several pre-made meals for when we need them. Put the dinghy in the water. Added the motor and everything went well. We headed to shore around 11. Mark's research told us that there was a fuel dock at the end of the bay. We stopped along the way and said hello to a boat, named Heritage, from the USVI's who followed us in yesterday. They were anchored in 70 foot water off a small resort with huts on the water where their family was visiting. Got to the fuel dock and there was a pump with diesel and gasoline but no attendants. I walked their pier to the street and across to the gas station. They told me that it was self serve. So, Mark filled up our two dinghy gas cans. Then walked over to pay for it while I waited. We decided to take a walk. No place to deposit any trash. We spoke with a lovely lady at the resort and she said that for $2/bag, they had a trash can available. Mark walked back and got the trash bag. We had to separate the plastics. We would have stayed for lunch but they did not provide wifi. We found out that there is a restaurant with a small dinghy dock close by our boat. So, we took a water tour of the end of the bay and headed back to Cook's Bay. It was almost noon, so just headed to the restaurant, Moorea Beach Club. We ordered a pizza and it was not that big, but the cost was $34. I presume we were paying a high fee for the beautiful scenery, including our boat. We walked down the road and found a small grocery store with fresh baguettes. It was nice to get some walking exercise. There were 8 boats in the anchorage by the time we got back to the boat. The catamaran, Pizaz, that we have seen before came and anchored very close to another catamaran and there were some loud words of being too close. They had anchored in much deeper water and had a lot of chain out. Maybe they were worried if the wind changed direction, they would hit. To the point, that the original cat hauled anchor and left. We put on our swimsuits and grabbed our snorkels and dinghied to the reef. It's quite a distance from our boat. We could see many coral heads under us as the water was nice and clear. We forgot to take the underwater camera. We got close to the crashing waves and threw out the anchor in about 5 feet or less. The water was cold and the coral was in pretty shallow water. It was incredible views. Many different colors of rock from all shades of brown and yellow, to white, green and purple. Most amazing. We saw lots of colorful fish in different sizes. The sun shone thru the clear water. There was something unique growing on top of some coral heads. They were found floating in the water in the anchorage. They look like dried flowers. When they touched my shoulders, it scared me as I thought it was something else. Had to get used to it. Mark said we were getting too far from the dinghy so we gave up. Dinghied to the shore on the other side of our boat. There were shallow areas. I put on my mask and dipped down into the water and there was plenty of coral and fish on that side too. We headed back to the boat and showered and enjoyed sitting on the front deck to dry off. Then we had a rest and both fell asleep. Woke up before sunset. The sky was a beautiful red/orange color. The unfortunate part of the this beautiful bay is having to smell the fires that are burning who knows what onshore...so sad that they have to do this so often. What a lot of pollution for everyone to breathe in. I am ready to close the hatches and keep it out, if possible. Listened to some Stan Rogers and Eric Clapton cds. It was a very hot day. Thankfully, there was a breeze. Mark spent time researching charts to see where we are going. He also put some reinforcement Gorilla tape on the front edges of the dinghy. Our dinghy is old, but she does a great job for us! We may head to the next bay tomorrow, which is supposed to have a stingray city. Should be interesting.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015