s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Birthday Celebrations in Huahine ! Wednesday, July 11, 2018

11 July 2018 | Fare in Huahine in the Societe Islands in French Polynesia
Helen/Mark
It was quite the 90 nautical mile sail from Moorea to Huahine. What should have been an easy overnight sail, turned out to be rough ocean and high winds. The wind was close hauled from the port side when we left Moorea around 3 pm. Then the wind kept changing back and forth and finally stayed from the starboard side up to 10 knots. So, we finally were sailing with full jib and making decent speed. We cleared Moorea's mountain shadow and then the winds picked up as did the seas. Unfortunately the swells were two part, one from the south-east and one from the south-west. One wave was behind us and the next was hitting us on the beam, rocking and rolling the boat. I took the first sleep shift at 8 pm. When Mark woke me, there were two freighters about 8 miles on our starboard side heading in the opposite direction. No issues at all. The wind strength was mid to upper 20's so Mark reefed the jib sail. I saw speeds up to 9.6 knots while Mark saw speeds over 11 knots, riding down some very big waves. I wore shoes and socks and a long sleeved sweater. Our shifts were only 3 hours and Mark didn't quite get all his time at the end as we got to the entrance right after sun rise. There was a 50 meter sailboat with two huge masts, motoring in behind us. They passed us as we furled the sail and started both engines. We followed them into the first channel in a misty type of rain. They anchored just inside the channel, but we found a better spot for us in 16 feet of water closer to shore. Mark secured the boat while I cooked us bacon and eggs for breakfast! Then we headed to bed for a few hours of catch-up sleep. When we woke up the boat had shifted and we were now in 11 feet of water. Mark thought we moved closer to the channel marker, but we are at least 150 feet away. Mark checked where the other cruisers were heading to shore and we packed up our things to follow, looking for the Huahine Yacht Club restaurant. It was right by the dinghy dock. Lots of people there. We asked about wifi and they told us it would be $5/hour and it wasn't very good. We walked around town but didn't see any other restaurants. We went back to the Yacht Club. Apparently, they had some test passwords and they gave us two of them as the first one wouldn't work. They didn't know which part was the user id and which part was the password. I tried every combination and found one that worked. We were supposed to only get one but the owner gave Mark one too. The problem is that I forgot to charge my phone, so Mark brought his laptop and I charged off of it. Our burgers and fries were really good. We had a dish of ice cream for dessert. What a lovely way to spend my birthday! Thank you so much, for all the Facebook, Emails, Messenger and Satellite Messages. They were all truly appreciated. Thanks for thinking of me!! We walked from the restaurant to the Super U, who actually sold popcorn. It was a huge grocery store/hardware/all purpose store. They were out of baguettes so good thing we bought two yesterday. They had some very good prices on a few things that we bought. We asked about renting a car or scooter tomorrow. The local place told us about Avis as they didn't have any available. Avis told us to try the Eurocar, which actually had one car left. So, we will land tour tomorrow morning for the day. It's only supposed to take an hour to drive around the island. We will take our swimsuits and snorkels and enjoy our day. Spoke to one of the cruisers' who said that the Yacht Club Happy Hour alcohol drinks were only $4.50. We have not seen anything that cheap at a bar in the French Polynesia. We had to put some things in the fridge, but we were also still jet lagged from our sail and not planning to go back to shore. May think about that for tomorrow night. This is another very beautiful spot. What a place to be on my birthday!! May our adventure continue to be so wonderful. We enjoyed sunshine and got in a lovely walk onshore. The breeze picks up at times to over 20 knots and I have to tell you that the breeze is cold a the sun begins to dip in the sky. Although the thermometer in our salon reads 81 degrees. We just saw a house-on-water go by, looking for a place to anchor. It looked like two separate thatched roof buildings, with the dinghy tied on behind. Not sure if it's a tour boat, but what a fabulous idea!! We can see a couple of Polynesian Canoes going by. Listening to a Sting cd, while we enjoy our birthday drinks!! I am indeed thankful to my dear husband, Mark, for making this such a wonderful day!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015