s/v Charabia

20 February 2019 | Pittwater Bay
19 February 2019 | Pittwater Bay
18 February 2019 | Pittwater Bay
17 February 2019 | Pittwater Bay
16 February 2019 | Pittwater Bay
15 February 2019 | Pittwater Bay
14 February 2019 | Pittwater Bay
13 February 2019 | Pinta Bay
12 February 2019 | Pinta Bay
11 February 2019 | Pinta Bay
10 February 2019 | Little Pittwater Bay
09 February 2019 | Sugarloaf Bay
08 February 2019 | Manly Cove
07 February 2019 | Tasman Sea
06 February 2019 | Tasman Sea
05 February 2019 | Tasman Sea
04 February 2019 | Auckland
03 February 2019 | Tauranga
02 February 2019 | Napier, NZ
01 February 2019 | Off New Zealand

Rest Day in Fare, Hauhine! Friday, July 13, 2018

13 July 2018 | Fare in Huahine in the Societe Islands in French Polynesia
Since we got to bed so late after the Huahine Heiva Dance Competition last night we slept in this morning. We didn't get to bed until after 11 pm which is hugely late for us. Mark was up early checking our boat and mentioned that we are getting really close to the next sailboat. There was no dinghy in the water, so not sure where the owner of that boat is. Made some yummy French Toast with syrup and bacon for breakfast. Then decided we were too close and needed to re-anchor further away. It seems that the wind off the different mountains here affect the boats differently. Our wind matches what is coming into the channel closest to us, while the rest of the boats anchored close to us are affected by a different wind and are facing a completely different direction. The wind died and then a huge gust blows thru and the boats are pushed in strange directions. We re-anchored but the anchor would not hold. This happened a few times thru some light rain. Finally it caught and we were satisfied with the distance to the other boats and the marker. Then I noticed it was Friday the 13th! I always believed it was a lucky day...maybe it is. I decided to wash some clothes since there are no laundromats. At least we have not seen any. Not sure what the islander do - hand wash. I was asking for some sunshine and breeze to dry the clothes and that's what we got. We got into our swim suits and Mark swam the anchor to make sure we were holding then we swam out to some of the coral in the anchorage, where the depth gets very shallow. We saw some coral and some fish. However, the current was really strong pushing us away from the boat, so we didn't stay in the water longer. Had a nice warm shower. The clothes were close to dry by lunch time. We waited a bit longer and took most of the clothes off the lifeline clothes lines. We dinghied to shore and there were several dinghies already tied to the floating dock. Mark was able to reach one cleat in order to run the lock line thru. We had read all about dinghy thefts in Huahine, but the locals seem very friendly and we had not heard anything like that happening. Our dinghy is our car and we cannot do without it so it's better to be safe than sorry. Not sure what Mark did to the top of his left hand, but he cut it and had a bandaid on it for the past couple of days. He said it must have scabbed up and he knocked it off while securing the dinghy and there was blood everywhere. I told him to wash it off in the restroom at the Yacht Club, but he dipped it in the salt water. I always carry bandaids in my pouch, but didn't bring it to shore today. So, I was going to head to the grocery store and Mark mentioned the pharmacy was around the corner. Our shoes got so dirty walking in the puddle road and sidewalks to the stadium yesterday, so I hosed mine off this morning and they were still wet. So, I was wearing flip flops...the road was the same muddy condition with the construction crews working. Mark stopped at the Rollete Cafe. I walked up the street and went the wrong way, finally asking some locals where the pharmacy was...it was the opposite direction so I walked back and found it. You would think that they would have told me that it is closed from noon to 2:30. It's really not easy when some stores close and others don't. Joined Mark back at the cafe and by then the bleeding had stopped. We shared a ham & cheese panini, fries and 1 litre of bottled water for $10 the best deal in all of French Polynesia. Then we tried some of their desserts. It was still a very inexpensive lunch. Plus, with City Hall across the street, they have wifi. It kept going down. We walked across the street and went in search of the bathrooms. They had one labeled with a picture of a Man and another one with a picture of a Man and Woman. I tried that one. They had a toilet with no seat...plus a shower in the corner and a sink with no soap or towels. Thankfully, they had toilet paper. Mark said his only had urinals and a sink, nothing else. That is very sad for Fare!! Tried making a few phone calls, but our time always seems to be short. The calls were interrupted with the wifi dropping and reconnecting. That is also frustrating with this poor internet service. I decided to shrink my pictures more so I can actually send out emails. I got a few rejects, so I know that my mass email doesn't always get to everyone. Sorry about that. I spend so many hours on communicating. Thanks to everyone that responded to my emails. Came back to the boat and Mark started working on starboard engine. He tightened the plate at the back of the water pump. He also tightened the water pump belt. It was slow responding to water coming out the exhaust, when the engine started today. In the process it only drew blood four times on the top of his left hand in- between his thumb and index finger. I added some alcohol and bandaids. And then the rain came down! Mark enjoyed a well deserved SG&T after his hard efforts. The sun was starting to set, although blocked by clouds and a lot of rain. It's almost 6 pm and several cruisers were racing to shore, to take advantage of happy hour beverages. The two Tiki Hut floated by with a few crew onboard. It must be a tourist offering set up for Sunset drinks or dinner or something. I got a great shot of the second one going by our boat. Our plan is to haul anchor tomorrow for Raiatea, about 20 miles from here and visible from our anchorage. Mark said they are predicting light winds, so it could take us more than 4 hours or so to sail there.
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015