s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Sunshine But No Wind - Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2018

31 July 2018 | On Route to Suwarrow, North Cook Island
Helen & Mark
The rain finally left us. We sailed slowly until 8:30 pm and Mark started one engine. Sad to say, it's been on ever since. Our speed was only 3-4 knots thru the night. The wind stayed light and on-the-nose we didn't add any sails. The clear skies showed us some stars for the first time in a long time. The moon reflected on the waves with twinkling lights. Mark mentioned that he saw at least 3 shooting stars. I took a position outside with my life vest on, watching the sky, but I did not see any. The water was glassy all day with a slight lengthy swell which gently rocked us. It was a stunning view. The movement of the swells reminded me of the desert sands. I loved the way the sun twinkled on the water! I actually could see all the way to the edge of the horizon, 365 degrees around. There were small white clouds at the horizon, but blue skies overhead, the whole day! But alas, no wind. At the end of my first helm shift, I noticed a light on the radar, but it kept disappearing. Mark informed me that it was a 42-foot boat named, Dol'Selen, who was motoring about 2 knots faster than us when they passed us. I gave them a call on the VHF radio. Had a lovely conversation. They are going to Suwarrow as well, so we can expect a number of sailboats will join us at the park island. My second helm shift began after breakfast. Mark went to sleep and I decided to hang out the towels and clothes that got wet during the rainy days. Then decided to wash a few clothes. Before I knew it, the lifelines were full of clothes wanting to be dried. That happened faster than I would have thought possible. We started the second engine at 1 pm. Also ran the water maker for a few hours, so we should be very close to having a full tank. We were trying to make 5 knots each hour in order for us to arrive at Suwarrow by tomorrow mid afternoon. We finally had sunshine for the entire day. The sky was blue with white puffy clouds off the edge of the horizon. We were sweating! Wow, with the rainy days, it was much cooler out and I was even cold on the night helm shifts. A very light wind arrived just off the starboard bow. We put the jib out for a while. Then added the main and with the wind around 40 degrees off our rhumb line, we were actually making speed up over 6 knots. I had a lovely deep sleep for an hour or so. Mark worked on boat projects. He measured the amount of diesel in our tank as our tank didn't come with a gauge, and decided that we could fit in two of our three jerry jugs. If we continue to run both engines, we still will have enough fuel left to get us to American Samoa. Did I mention that we were hot and sweaty. We decided to shower with the outside faucet, but I found that water was too cold. We had the sun shower in the sun and that water was way too hot. So, we added cold water and that made a lovely shower. Someone asked about meals onboard. I was not sure that anyone would be interested. We still have lots of pre-made meals and frozen meats to use. I was very surprised that French Polynesia did not stock much in the way of white chicken meat. Lots of fish and beef. We were warned to be careful eating fish in restaurants because the locals sell fish caught within the reef, which does have a health risk for ciguatera. So, the choice when we go out is usually cheeseburgers. I do have frozen burgers, chicken and beef. I found if I was cooking a bigger meal, then the other meal should be lighter, just a soup with rice, pasta and veggies. That has worked out well. I have fresh veggies and fruits onboard, things like onions, carrots, potatoes, peppers, bananas, coconut and oranges. I have canned fruits and veggies in my storage boxes. We also have tuna, corned beef, ham and one can of spam. I have ghee butter, canned butter, but we usually don't use that much. Breakfast is a variety of cold and hot cereals. We use the almond milk for that. We have a good amount of freeze dried meals. We tried a couple of them. Something to snack on is always more of a challenge. The 4-hour helm shifts overnight leave you wanting to eat something. Mark loves cookies! My preference is nuts/dried fruits/taco chips. French Polynesia sells some very expensive chips and very few types of taco chips. Nothing close to the size of the $2 Taco Chips at Winnie Dixie. I haven't been eating too much overnight as my stomach was bothering me for the first number of days on this leg. All has settled, thankfully. Thanks for the many satellite messages. The sun is beginning its departure on this first day of August. Time is flying by for us!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015