s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Manta Ray & Pot Luck! Saturday, Aug. 4, 2018

05 August 2018 | Suwarrow, North Cook Island
Helen & Mark
After dinner, we watched the movie, Casino Royale (James Bond). We didn't get to bed until almost 11. No on is sure if our time pushed back an hour. It's very close. We are also very close to the date line. Slept well for the first time in a long time. Had breakfast and Mark started working on a few boat projects. The first one was checking out both engines. Along the last leg, Mark noticed a hose clamp was loose and vibrating. There were two clamps. One was touching the motor mount which worked it loose, of course it was at the very bottom of the engine and hard to reach. Just an issue on the one engine. He checked both and added oil to both engines and addressed a small leak on the starboard engine. There was an issue with where the boom attaches to the mast. This is called the Goose Neck. The pin was missing which allowed the shaft to work out of the casing. That has been corrected. Mark also replaced a broken rivet at the head of the main sail, which held the leach line block. Lots of great work. We headed out in the dinghy to check for manta rays. Another boat joined us. And yes, we did spot one. Mark took underwater pictures. We enjoyed our snorkel. The coral structures are beautiful with so many different colors. Lots of smaller fish, but lots to see. Came back to the boat and showered and changed. I started cooking up a hot pasta dish for the cruisers' pot luck gathering at the beach. We had a quick bite for lunch, which was good. The pot luck was supposed to start at 2 pm. Only one other boat was ashore at 2 pm when we got there. Mostly everyone else was on Island Time. The weather was perfect. There were many coconut trees to provide ample shade. Someone set up a table and some chairs. We took our stools to sit on, but they stayed in the dinghy. It was a large group gathered. Met a lot of cruisers and had a lovely time. Ernie brought out something like a kettle drum and started playing. A few others joined in and made some lovely music. My stomach started acting up and I felt nauseas, so we headed back to the boat. We were both tired. The sun has just sunken into the ocean as it set for another day. Thanks for the many satellite messages, especially ones with news. Happy birthday to Mark's brother, Jim and also, happy anniversary to Jim & Deb! We are checking weather, which has been unusual for this time of the year. We may be another couple of days here in Suwarrow which won't be hard to take.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015