s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Sunshine Returned! Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2018

08 August 2018 | On Route to Pago Pago, American Samoa
Helen & Mark
The rain was over by sunset. We finally turned off the one engine at 10:30 pm. Wind finally increased enough to sail with full jib. The winds picked up overnight to speeds over 20 knots with lots of big swells and waves that bashed our boat. That made sleeping very difficult. We did some fast sailing with boat speed over 9 knots at times. Mainly 6-7 knots. We covered a lot of miles over the past 24 hours. Still have 93 miles to the outer mark. Then another 66 miles to the port at Pago Pago, American Samoa. Mark couldn't sleep in the cabins below, so he chose to sleep on the settee in the salon. The winds increased to 23 knots and I woke him up to help reef the jib. The main sail was double reefed already. We reefed two more times with not much jib sail showing. We still were making 6-7 knots. It was pitch dark all night. I did not see any stars so it must have been cloud cover. The odd swell was around 10 foot high. A very lumpy, bumpy ride. The good thing was that the sun stayed out all day. There were clouds in the sky, but no more rain. Lot of blue skies in-between the clouds. I made sure that Mark had extra time on his 2nd sleep. At this point he decided to sleep in the aft cabin. Less rocking motion in there. He slept well. I made a nice hot lunch and woke him up to eat. We took turns and had a nap thru the day as we were both exhausted. We found time to have a shower off the back of the boat. The water was nice and hot courtesy of the sun. But the stiff breeze was cold. At least I was cold. Our temperature in the salon is 83 degrees. It did feel much warmer today. The seas became much more comfortable today. And now, there are some swells up to 6 foot, but spaced out. The rest of the waves are 2-4 foot and just a little rocky. The slapping of the bigger waves on the starboard hull can be heard. The wave hits the port side easily pushing the port side higher and then tries to make it under the second hull when it's already pushed down, causing rocking side to side. It will be nice to get there. We have 159 nautical miles to the port. The first way point is in 93 miles. Thankful for the sun being out. Mark checked the goose neck connection and worked on it a little. He also checked our fuel. We have approximately 1/3 of a tank left. We will only motor if we have no wind. It's very clear over the water and we can see for mega miles to the horizon, in all directions. Thanks for the satellite messages. It really fills our time at sea. We look for a bit more wind to sail through the rest of the miles to American Samoa.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015