s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Ace Hardware & Best Pizza! Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2018

16 August 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
Helen & Mark
Watched a movie last night called, Fast & Furious. We had seen the movie before, but this was a taped version that was not in very good condition which ruined it. We stayed up late for the first time in a long time. The rain woke me up at 6:30. It was a huge down pour. It stopped for a few minutes and then started again. Then, we didn't see any more rain all day. My towels got dried, which was nice. We headed to shore early after Mark bailed out the water. Found the right bus to take us to Ace Hardware. It was a huge store with a huge staff that were very friendly. I started at one end and was working my way along the aisles when some employees said hi, and asked me if there was anything I needed help with. I said, no, that I was looking for my husband. The one employee told me that he was around the other side of the store. Sure enough, Mark was exactly where he told me. How funny is that!! We found a few things that we needed on the boat. Then we walked across the street and up a ways to a small strip plaza. One store sold books, one sold electronics and music and one was called, Subs Your Way, all owned by Cindy. We had a lovely conversation with her. She treated us to some home made cookies which were very tasty. It was too early for lunch, but we may go back there one day before we leave this island. We found KSMart which was a grocery store, plus so many more things. Mark waited outside with our purchases and I got to check out the store. They did have lots of fruits and veggies, so I bought some. Also, there is something in the air with the Starkist place or some other that is drying out our eyes, so I bought some eye drops. We took the bus back and had to get out and take another as we wanted to stop at a big store called Manua. It was a huge department store with an upstairs filled with clothes. We bought a couple of t-shirts that say 'I love Samoa'. Then we walked over to Tropical Chicken and ended up eating next door at Tropical Pizza. I really don't think we have had pizza since Hawaii, but this pizza was delicious!! We got another bus back to the harbor. Sent an email update, added pictures to FB, made a few calls at McDonald's hot spot. Then we headed back to the boat. It was close to 3 pm. We took showers with the nice warm water in our sun shower. Then we sat up on deck to let the breeze dry our hair. We watched the boat next to us called, Aloha, climbing the mast. We got in the dinghy and went by to see if they needed any help. They were pretty close to being done. We dinghied around the anchorage. Had a lovely visit with Ian & Helen on Nighttide. Just before sunset two other boats departed the anchorage. There is definitely a good wind blowing this evening. Lots of clouds in the sky, but so far no rain. We do have a fishy smell in that breeze which is coming directly from the Starkist Tuna Cannery. As I am writing this, the wind is changing slightly so we don't have that foul smell. Caught up with Chris & Zane, who decided to re-anchor on the other side of us. We may get together, tomorrow, for our return trip to Cost-U-Less. We can hear a lot of birds chattering in the trees up on shore. The roosters have all gone to bed already and the dogs haven't started barking yet. It's another wonderful day in Paradise. Thanks for all the emails, satellite messages and FB Comments. Just know that we miss everyone!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015