s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Cave Snorkel - on Vakataumai Island - Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2018

11 September 2018 | Vava'u anchorage #7
Helen
Anchored off Vakataumai Island. Two other cruising boats joined us. Had a lovely dinner. Then watched more Season 7 of Game of Thrones. Got to bed around 10 pm. Slept until after 7. Mark linked my phone to our wifi hotspot and caught up on the internet. One of boats left and headed out the channel. We talked to the other boat to see if they were planning to visit the caves. They said they were heading back to Neiafu. We waited until after lunch to dinghy over to the caves that are at the end of this island. It rained some this morning and again afternoon. However, the sun came out when we needed it. When we got to the cave, the boat from our anchorage was there and they called us over. The captain stayed with their catamaran just off the entrance to the caves. We tied our dinghy to their boat and jumped into the water. Two young ladies from that vessel joined us. We had the cave to ourselves. We didn't have to dive under anything to get in. The cave was massive. There was a giant ball of a million tiny fish in the water inside the cave. There were lots of different colors in the rock face. The sad part was that many people wrote their names and other things on the rock. Why? The ceiling was at least 50 feet up above our heads. Stalactites were hanging down the top of the cave. It was pretty dark and we should have taken a flashlight for more visibility. It was a wonderful opportunity. Several private dive boats showed up and joined us. It was an amazing site when we swam out of the cave. The rock face went down a very long way. The water was crystal clear and the rock was beautiful in size & shapes. Lots of fish around. Mark had the camera flash on, but it just reflected back from the water and some of the pictures did not turn out well. We swam out and along the rock face to the next cave. This was a much smaller cave. Mark took a few pictures. Saw lots of fish and coral attached to the rock shelf. The current felt like it was pushing me into the rock wall. We headed back to our dinghy. A truly incredible experience. By the time we dinghied back, the sun was behind dark clouds and it started raining before we reached Charabia. We jumped back into the water with our scrubbers and worked on cleaning up more on the hulls. Had a lovely warm shower. Tried to make a few phone calls. Congratulations to John & Victoria (my sister) on their 9/11 wedding anniversary. Also, happy birthday to Rafi, my great-nephew! Thanks for all the emails and satellite messages. I posted several pictures of Tonga on my Facebook page. We are relaxing this evening. A charter catamaran just joined us in the late afternoon. The rains returned with a lovely rainbow over the beach. Looks like their windlass was not working and they had a support boat with them to fix it. Hope the hurricanes fizzle out before they get anywhere close to the USA! It's pouring rain but the sun is shining! Quite the sight. It was much warmer today. However, the water is still very cold.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015