s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Rainy Lazy Day in Tonga! Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2018

12 September 2018 | Vava'u anchorage #7
Helen
We got a lot of rain last evening and overnight. We watched more Game of Thrones and retired after 10 pm. There were two other Moorings catamarans with us. Then today we got big rains. To the point, Mark scooped out 5 gallons of water from our dinghy and that was not half of it. We will save the water for washing the boat. Our poor towels and swim suits were saturated from the many rains. Eventually, we rung out the water and hung them back up. Some tour boats showed up with snorkelers and anchored just off the coral line. Then boat after boat joined us. Anchorage #7 is really protected with this SE blow! We are liking the flat waters. It feels like close quarters, though! It was well after lunch when we got into our swimsuits and headed out in the dinghy. Checked out some of the rock faces on the island beside us. None of the carve outs were actual caves. They didn't go deep enough to be a cave for us to swim in. We motored off the shoreline and dropped our dinghy anchor in about 8 feet of water. The breeze was still and cold so the water actually felt warmer. The sun tried to shine thru, but mostly hid behind clouds. The snorkeling was interesting. There were lots of tiny colorful fish, purple, neon green and yellow. We also saw several purple starfish. Some looked to be intertwined on the coral structures. I switched to a new snorkel set because my flippers are too loose on my feet. The new ones worked well. I pulled up the dinghy anchor as Mark drove us back to Charabia. At this point we had 6 more boats joining us. Several are Moorings charter boats. One more catamaran joined us just before sun set. We dinghied back to Charabia and got back in the water to scrub the hull and removed a few tiny barnacles that have latched onto our bottom paint. By the time we got out and showered, we were both extremely cold. We dried off, changed into dry clothes and warmed up with a cup of coffee and Baileys! I think my feet are still cold and I put on a pair of socks. We do not have a heater onboard but it is still 80 degrees in the cabin. When we cook anything the heat remains in the salon. Listening to Stan Rogers as prepare today's blog entry. Thanks for your emails and messages! The sun is just setting for today. All is well in Paradise!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015