s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Back in Neiafu! Monday, Sept. 17, 2018

17 September 2018 | Neiafu, Tonga
Helen
Last night's movie was Fifty Shades of Grey. We have watched the movie before but didn't remember much. Got to bed around 10 pm. It was blowing but we were nicely protected behind the island in Anchorage #4. It stayed rain-free all night. Woke up around 7. Mark slept a bit longer. Had breakfast. Then made a few phone calls. Then hauled anchor and motored back around the island to the town of Neiafu. The winds were blowing to 26 knots. Passed several other sailboats. Did not want to anchor across the harbor as the winds were blowing in that direction. It rained a few times. We were going to anchor on the town side of harbor, beyond the mooring balls. The water was too deep unless you were pretty close to land. So, we motored back as we had noticed a couple of empty mooring balls. We found one belonging to Beluga Divers. Picked up the mooring ball. Saw a few boats that we knew also on mooring balls. Made some more phone calls. Then got in the dinghy and took a bag of trash with us. Stopped at the dive shop dinghy dock. Mark went up and paid for being on their mooring ball for 2 nights - 30 Paangas which is $15 US. Then we dinghied over to the small boat dock and left the dinghy there. Walked up to Mangos and asked if they had ESPN2 on their tvs. They did not. We walked over to Tropicana Café, and they also checked their tv channels. They did not carry this channel. So, we did not get to watch today's Formula 1 race. Did some walking up the streets with businesses. It was the Crown Prince's Birthday holiday today. They mentioned that the businesses were closed. However, there were many that were open. We stopped by the boat shop and then the Coffee & Tees shop. They advertised getting t-shirts made with our boat name. So, we may arrange that tomorrow. We need a photo of our boat. Walked thru the different streets. Stopped for an ice cream cone and the rains returned. At least we sat outside with an overhang and didn't get wet. Checked out some of the many grocery stores. Was looking for bananas. The market was open but very limited due to the holiday. Will re-visit tomorrow. Walked back to the dinghy. Stopped by one of the boats that we know that is moored close to us to see if they would like to join us for happy hour. Well the heavens opened up once again. They delayed coming by. It was sprinkling when they came over. Had a lovely time with Dave & Rosie on Crazy Love. Lots of great stories! Even played a game of Pigs, which Mark won. Mark had a sandwich after they left. It seems like we are getting so much rain here. Will plan to be here for two nights. Then head to another anchorage before the weather changes for our departure to New Caledonia. Thanks for your emails and messages. Congrats to the Jaguars for their win over the Patriots today! Enjoy your day!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015