s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Land Ho! Saturday, September 29, 2018

29 September 2018 | On Route to Noumea, New Caledonia
Helen & Mark
The seas continued to stay rough overnight and all today. To the point that my stomach hurt. The huge news is that the sun came out first thing this morning and tried to stay shining all day. There were plenty of clouds to get in its way but our solar panels were happy. Watched some more Downton Abbey with Mark. Then I headed for my 1st sleep around 8 pm. I actually slept pretty good despite the rocky ride. While on my 1st helm watch, we spotted some lights off the starboard side of the boat, 12 miles away. It turned out to be three Chinese fishing boats a long way from shore. Mark said it was a small area that was shallower to 600 feet instead of several thousand. They were going very slowly so we passed them at a good distance away. Along with the sunshine, came lots of birds. We still could not see the islands, because we were over 50 miles away. What a difference the sun makes! Our salon temperature was in the mid 80's today. The swells continued to be more than 10 feet. They continued to push us towards New Caledonia. Our speeds seemed to increase with the wind remaining under 20 knots. Mark kept reefing the jib because we didn't want to get to the reef entrance channel before sunset. That way we would be entering the channel with the current. I slept well on my 2nd sleep. I watched Homeland episodes and finally finished Season 1. Mark watched the movie, Leon, the Professional. He also watched some more Homeland episodes. We had plenty of power from the sunny day, so we ran the water maker for several hours. Mark did check the diesel tank and we are half-full. We have plenty of fuel to get to our destination. The plan is to enter the channel and sail 16 miles to an anchorage. Then it will be another 27 miles to sail to Noumea. They have limited time to check in on Sundays, so we will anchor and get a good night's sleep. Although we won't get to the anchorage until 11 pm. That means local time will be around 9 because we will fall back two hours in time. Mark checked the bilges and the starboard side had a couple inches of sea water. It's usually dry. He pumped it out and checked the other side. No water in the port bilge. He did engine checks. Port side engine had some water at the bottom, which he pumped out. These big huge swells are to blame. Engines are ready to go. If we can sail, we will continue sailing. We spotted islands about 20 miles out. Mark found the lighthouse at the entrance to the channel. We also noticed a sailboat coming out just now. They were really pounding in the swells. Once inside the channel, it's supposed to be the largest lagoon in the world. The internet picture were incredible. Looking forward to exploring some of the islands. The sun is setting and we only have 1.2 miles to the entrance. Mark will post this once blog later, but I wanted to get it done. Mark says the wind is chilly. This will be our 10th country to visit. Will have to have a toast when we get anchored. Thanks for all the satellite messages today. This is our 8th day on the water since leaving Tonga. Will look forward to some much needed rest.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015