s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Day 2 Touring Grande Terre! Tuesday, October 9, 2018

09 October 2018 | Port Moselle Marina, Noumea
Helen
Watched some Homeland while Mark watched Sorcerer's Apprentice. I am trying to catch up on the series to where Mark last watched it. Created the blog late last night but our wifi was not co-operating. Mark was able to upload it with a picture, this morning. We were up early. This main island is actually called Grande Terre. Mark's request was to stop at some marine stores over by the port area. We spent quite a long time there. One employee search thru their stock of Ray Marine and could only find one piece that Mark needed. He told us to wait until someone returned his car as he had parts there. However, after waiting, there were no more parts. Mark attempted to check out and had to wait behind someone that was getting some prices for something he needed. Finally, he took a break and checked Mark and one other customer out. We drove back to the south side of the island. Mark wanted to visit the Ouen Toro which housed two canons used in WWII. It was in a premium location at the top of the hill. The views were spectacular, showing some of the islands around this one. We had a great view of Baie De L'Anse Vata. The drive up to the top was really nice. Lots of bike and walking trails. Our next stop was to La Parc Provincial De La Riviere Blueue. It was about 30 miles or so up the east coast. The roads were good but it wound around and up and down as we headed thru the mountains. Our beautiful sunshine disappeared as we got close to the park. It cost $6 to enter. There was a spot that rented canoes but we didn't want to venture out in the downpours. We drove several miles thru the park. It reminded me of the State Park on the island of Hawaii. Some of the vegetation didn't seem to fit the South Pacific, especially the different species of Evergreens. The sand dunes on the side of the road were all orange and when the rain came down, the puddles were also a very deep orange color. Mark loved the drive with our rental stick shifter. It was more of a challenge with the wet mountain roads. Once off the main road the speed limit seems very high given the tight winding roads. Also there are no center lines which makes it interesting meeting an oncoming vehicle in the middle of a tight corner. We could have walked across a bridge and gotten a shuttle further into the park. Again, it was raining. I made it more than half way across the large wooden bridge. Will post pictures on Facebook. We got smart today, and picked up some sandwiches at a grocery store on route. We stopped by the picnic area and had lunch. By the time we were leaving the sun came out. It must have been mountain affect. We picked up a few groceries on the way back to the boat. Dropped everything off around 3 pm. One of things we were told by the rental car place was that we had to bring the car back clean...so we took our hoses and wash cloths to the C Dock entrance and it was long enough to reach the curb. Mark sprayed the orange dust but none of it would rinse off without using our wash cloths. I thought that was unusual. Our white rental is back to being clean and white. We thought about returning the car by 5 pm but we are both beat. We walked up to the showers and shared a shower for the first time here. We also decided since we have a car we will try out another restaurant in Mont-Dore area before returning it in the morning. Thanks for the emails and satellite messages. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015