s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Polynesian Dancers & Boat Chores! Sunday, October 14, 2018

14 October 2018 | Port Moselle Marina, Noumea, New Caledonia
Helen
We walked over to the Pacific Fair for the Polynesian Dancers around 5 pm. Lots of people attending. We stood around the stage and dance area. First there was a fashion show. Very beautiful island dresses worn by Miss New Caledonia and others. They even had a few men strutting their outfits. We recognized one guy that we have seen around the marina. Then the band took their positions and started playing their ukuleles and drums. Very nice island music. The ladies came out first. It sure makes you want to shake your hips! The men were next. They did a lot of shaking too, plus their ritual formations. It was all fun to watch. The show ended around 6:30 pm. As we walked thru the many stalls, they were almost all closed down. Headed back to the boat. Watched some more episodes of Homeland. Then it was 10 before we got to bed. The sun shone most of the day. There was a gusty breeze that pushed our boat away from the dock. The wind was supposed to switch directions but that didn't happen. The clouds were pretty dark around and even rained at one point. Thankfully, we were back onboard. Slept in some. Decided to make French Toast today. The bread we bought a few days ago had started to mold, so we had to toss it. Decided to walk up to the market and get some bread. Mark chose a superb fresh loaf. We had some heavenly French toast, with bacon on the side. Then we walked up to the marina office for a shower. They do allow men and women to share the one large shower in the men's side of the restroom area. This is only the second time that has happened. It's usually the first shower taken. Tried making some calls but the words were garbled. We actually had the best connection using our marina wifi. Although we tried a few times and it would not connect fast enough and then it wouldn't give us the sign in page. Again, their wifi is slow and drops the connection. Our additional cell coverage results in garbled voice connections. We headed back to the boat. We went thru the quarter berth on the port side. Mark rearranged a few things. Then we spent time going thru all the stows in our settee the Port forward birth. That took a good while as we still have a lot of food on board. We're not sure what Australia will take away from us. Anything that was expired was removed from the boat. There is a trash bin at the entrance to our dock. This is one of the first places that does not charge us a fee to get rid of our trash. However, it may be included in our marina fees. We also picked out a few things that we are not eating, like canned tuna. We will see if our neighbors would like a goodie basket. We emptied a lot of things off the boat. I can see Charabia floating higher in the water!! It was very breezy today. Lots of darker clouds in the sky. We took a long walk over to the far end of the marina to the gas dock. Mark read somewhere that they refilled propane tanks. He filled one of our tanks in American Samoa and they had problems. I don't think they filled it very full. Mark thinks they used butane, especially the way it would burn on our gas stove. We have plenty to get us to Australia. Joined Mark in an SG&T today. He is finishing off a bottle of wine, while I am have some Godiva. The sun has set but not much color in the sky tonight. It is almost dark out and there is a little hint of color in the west. Mark made the comment that we have done very well in getting this far on our adventure. I have to agree. We are attending a Go West/Down Under Rally rendezvous tomorrow afternoon, here at the marina. Then we will head to another island or islands until we are ready to leave New Caledonia. We have to come back to Noumea to do all the check-outs. That will happen the last week of October. Thanks so much for the emails & messages. Appreciate hearing from you.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015