s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Not Much Wind Today! Sunday, November 4, 2018

04 November 2018 | Coral Sea, on route to Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
Helen & Mark
Cooked dinner early last night. Did the dishes and watched one episode of Justified before heading to my 1st sleep shift. Mark started the port engine as our winds were failing. We still had the jib flying but with no wind, it collapsed and filled. The wind is still from the starboard side of the boat, aft of beam. The waves really flattened out overnight. Just small swells pushing us from behind. They are maybe 2-3 foot high with some higher. A much smoother ride on this big ocean. Water in all directions to the horizon. Clear skies with a few puffy clouds in the sky. Mark watched the last of the Hobbit movies on his 1st helm shift. No sightings at all. My 1st helm shift started by midnight. It was a dark ocean with plenty of stars. I watched the movie, Flawless, which Mark watched a few days ago. It was very entertaining. Spent some time washing down the guest head. Getting ready for the bio security checks when we arrive in Australia. A sliver of the moon joined me just before the shift change. The moon rose into the dark sky and lit up the ocean behind us. Woke Mark up at 4 am as I headed to bed. Mark watched the movie, A Great Big Sea, about the story of Moby Dick, a whale tale. Very entertaining. They were drifting in small row boats, after a whale sunk their ship. Other than that, and no wind, the seas flattened out. My 2nd helm began just before 8. I woke up early. Mark had already eaten breakfast, so he was ready to sleep. The sun was shining the whole day. The winds were almost negligible. With the motor we were able to maintain around 5 knots per hour in the past 24 hours. Not sure if we will get those same results going forward. We need some more wind. I keep asking! Did some reading. And more cleaning. Re-organized some of the containers. Then cooked up an omelet with red peppers, onions, bacon crumbles, cheese and the last potato. I turned off the burner and went to wake Mark around 12:30. He was sound asleep. Mark had a slice of bread with his. We started the water maker around 1:30 and it's still running. Our tanks have to be getting pretty full. After motoring one engine for 24 hours, Mark checked our diesel level. We used around 1/4 tank. Good thing we will get there within 3 days, so we should have enough fuel. Mark's weather forecast has an increase in wind, so maybe we be able to sail once again. I saw a lot of flying fish. Went to get the camera to film it, but they disappeared. Didn't really see any other signs of life. Mark saw one bird this morning. It was so slow, I asked Mark if he wanted to jump in. On Lake Ontario, we used to drag a line that we could hold onto, when it was hot out and the boat was not moving fast. Mark said there are Great White Sharks in these waters, so not a good idea to jump in! Mark took the basket containers off the ledge around the settee, so I could dust and clean behind there. He took a break and trimmed his beard. Looks much better. He badly needs a hair cut too. That will happen in Bundaberg. I started going thru my closet and took a bunch of things and put them in a storage bag under the cabin bed. Then Mark took the bed boards off and we cleaned the dusty edges. Thankfully, no bugs. We try to put things in zip lock bags when we buy them, so we don't have to deal with creatures. Cannot believe the problems most boats have. I cannot tolerate bugs. We also went thru some of the food stows in the port cabin storage area. I wanted to find the freeze dried fruits and try them out. Not sure if the Bio will take them away. They are part of our 25 year emergency food. I bought some banana chips, strawberries and blueberries, plus some green beans and broccoli. The banana chips are wonderful. The others, you need to add warm water and let them sit for 30 minutes before they are ready to eat. Would like to add them to our breakfast cereal tomorrow. Dug out some meat from our freezer. There were two burger patties. I will break it up and make a tomato sauce with rice noodles and veggies for dinner tonight. Our day light has been longer by one full hour. Maybe it's the USA time change or the time change to Australia. The sun doesn't set until 7 pm here. Today was a much warmer day and mostly due to the light winds. The work we did in the cabins made us hot. Getting outside in the breeze cooled me off. I'm sure the breeze will feel much cooler overnight. Looking forward to some bigger winds. I must say that our boat has gotten a good inside cleaning. Not sure what else we need to focus on with Australians being so picky. I don't understand why the neighboring countries don't sell more New Zealand or Australian products. We have to buy their expensive food but we're not sure how much we are going to eat. Anything leftover will be taken away. I am worried about how many things they will take off our boat. I don't see the USA doing anything at this level! Plus it is expensive to check in but our rally fees should cover most of it. Jim emailed that Rice lost their football game today, we were really hoping for a win. Thanks for all the satellite messages today!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015