s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Charabia Cleared into Australia! Wednesday, November 7, 2018

07 November 2018 | Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
Helen & Mark
We enjoyed leftovers of beef stew, for dinner last night as we enjoyed the flat water where we were anchored. Mark fell asleep at the settee and I went to bed without him since he would not wake up. The Bundaberg Marina was across the river, not very far away. Mark called the marina after 8. They took down all the particulars and told us they would call us back. We didn't hear back so just after 9, Mark called them again. This time they told us that they had a slip available at the end of the Red Dock. Apparently all their docks are named after colors. Mark was so pleased that we were on the end. There was another catamaran on the t-dock. The marina dock hand was there to take our line, as was Cran, on the other catamaran. Thankfully, all went well, despite a 20 knots wind blowing us onto the dock. Mark did a superb job at the helm. Got all the lines secured and we were told not to leave the boat. Did some last minute cleaning. Helped Mark take a bunch of miscellaneous things out of the Port Cabin, including our spare dinghy. Stored them in the cockpit. We thought they were going to look in every inch of the boat. Then we waited until after 11 when a group of four officials plus the dog sniffer arrived. Two guys took the doggie, who was wearing foot booties, onboard. We had to get off while they did their sniffing. We got the thumbs up when they were done. The other two officials came aboard. They had lots of questions while the lady filled out our 12-month cruising permit, which is called a Control Permit. Everything went very well. We were then told to wait for the Bio Security team. By lunch time, I made quesadillas with sliced ham and sliced chicken, from Noumea, with cheese, served with salsa. At this point I didn't know if they would take all those things away. Amy arrived around 2 pm. Had a lovely conversation with her. Then she wanted to see the fridge. We didn't have much left in our fridge. She did take some sleeves of ham and our trash bag with eggs shells from breakfast. She didn't look at the storage containers. I was so very happy with the results. We still need someone from Bio Security to do a timber inspection on the wood in our boat. Not sure when this will happen. She removed the quarantine status of our boat. We could take down our Q Flag and were free to get off the boat. Yeah!!! We walked up and checked into the marina for a week. The fee was around $300 Aussie dollars with a 15% discount from the rally. Very inexpensive. They gave us a security badge to get onto our dock. Told us they have two daily shuttles, so we went and signed up for a 9:30 shuttle tomorrow. We also have a 12:30 Go West/Down Under seminar here at the marina, for Surviving Australia. The marina has wifi, which we signed on to, but we could even google anything. It's very slow and almost useless. I was able to post a few pictures from the marina on Facebook. We walked back to the boat and got our shower stuff and had a lovely hot shower. Then got on the internet to check results from the Florida election. Mark tried to get his emails and pass along our insurance papers to the marina, but it took a long time We were sitting out in the breeze, so my hair dried. Then we walked back to Charabia to change for the Go West/Down Under Rally Welcome Party. It started at 6 pm. The sunset was again a beautiful colorful sight. We were given a free drink which included rum, vodka and kalua. It was tasty. The bar was open if you wanted other drinks. I just had water while Mark had a CC & ginger ale. It was already combined in a can. He said it was pretty good. They had a few speeches. They had 72 boats participating in the rally, but some of the boats ended up at other ports. They had some entertainment of a local dance group and then a live band. Lots of different canopies. A great time. We didn't win the free haul out, but had a great time. It was fun to meet other cruisers. Everyone has a story to tell just with the latest crossing. What fun! Got to catch up with Rob & Lauren from Southern Comfort which was great. We had a lovely time but we are still exhausted. Last night's sleep was interrupted by leg and foot cramps. I had sprayed my legs with magnesium before getting to bed, so mine were okay. Mark's kept cramping and disturbing our sleep. We will do better tonight. It's been more than a week since we took a walk. When the boat was moving so much on our crossing, it was hard to do much walking or exercise since we had to hang on. Looking forward to checking out this area. Very happy to be in Australia!! The big winds lasted all day. I was actually feeling very cold while we working on our computers outside of the marina. Thanks to everyone that posted comments on our blog. Thanks for your satellite messages and for all the emails, as well as comments/messages on Facebook. Heading to bed shortly!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015