s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Shopping & Rally Seminars! Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018

08 November 2018 | Bundaberg Port Marina, Queensland, Australia
Helen
We ended up skipping dinner as the appetizers at the party were enough. We had a great time at the Rally Welcome Party! We were absolutely exhausted. By the time I finished the blog, it was close to 9 pm and we called it a day! The wind was still howling as we headed to our cabin. It was morning before we knew it. No wind, perfectly calm. Our plan was to take the 9:30 shuttle bus to the Bundaberg Shopping Mall. After breakfast, we headed up to the marina to see if their wifi would work. Early in the morning, with no one else around, made for a great connection. We were able to make a couple calls using WhatsApp. The wifi is not very strong, even when we are sitting right in front of the marina office. We walked back to the boat and Mark moved the boat a few feet over, as Lettin' Go, the catamaran behind us, requested. We took a canvas bag & cold pack with us and walked up to the shuttle bus. We met up with Teri and had a lovely conversation on the way to the mall. It was mostly farm land along the way. Lots of sugar cane in all stages of growth. Also, some other plants, but not sure what they were. The bus dropped us at Target and we walked another mile to the shopping mall. That is where the Telstra phone shop was located. However, it was a 45 minute wait. We walked around the mall. Mark got a much needed hair cut for $25. I walked thru K-Mart and then found a grocery store. I picked up a few things and met Mark at the phone store. He was just finishing up. We didn't have enough time to get to the shuttle pick up spot, so we took a cab back. It cost us $50. This time I took many pictures along the way. Will post them to Facebook. Got back in time to throw the cold items in the fridge and walk back to take a shuttle bus to our Rally seminars, today. We didn't realize they were in another location. The good thing is that it was not far from the marina. The Lighthouse Hotel & Restaurant hosted the seminar. There was no lighthouse to be seen. We arrived a bit late, but we didn't miss anything. They had just started a slide show, talked about the bad insects and animals in Australia, especially the poisonous jelly fish. Just hope we don't cross paths with any of them when we are snorkeling. The discussion included Surviving Down Under, from the verbiage meanings to the culture and way of life here. The rest of the talk was on sailing south to Sydney Harbor. They took a short break. Since we missed lunch, we ordered a pizza. Then the seminar continued until 4:30. We waited with a group of rally goers for someone to drive the shuttle back to the marina. Talked to a couple from San Diego as we drove back. Walked along the path beyond the marina. There was a small brown sandy beach with people fishing in the river. We walked close to the Burnett River entrance and turned around. Mark talked about going to the marina restaurant for dinner, but I said we already ate out at lunch. Since it was after 5 pm, Mark wanted to get back to the boat for his SG&T. We spent a few minutes talking a local resident on our dock. He said that he has noticed us walking on the dock. He liked that we were always holding hands! Also, chatted with some Canadians whose boat is close to ours, plus our neighbor boat. I had to charge my phone as it was on dregs. The Seminar was interesting with a lot of information. Saw pictures of some fabulous places south of here. White sandy beaches looked amazing! Part of the rally gives us discounts at several of the marinas and boat shops along the way. It's our second day at the marina and we find ourselves exhausted yet again. Tomorrow, there are two more seminars, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Our day will be full again. Then we have a pot luck Hootenanny/Jam Session. That sounds like a full day as well. Enjoying a most beautiful sunset tonight! And after the sun had set the sky was covered in orange and yellow colors! Hope you are enjoying your day! Thanks for your emails and messages!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015