s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Final Rally Seminars & Land Touring! Monday, November 12, 2018

12 November 2018 | Bundaberg Port Marina, Queensland, Australia
Helen & Mark
Ever since we have been in Bundaberg, the wind has been blowing with huge gusts. Just glad that we are not on the open ocean. We had huge gusts at night and the boat was rocking. We moved cabins to the port aft, just to get away from the squeaky lines. Woke up around 7 this morning. The wind had ceased, but only for a short time. It was blowing hard for yet another day. Mark checked out the resulting videos from yesterday's Formula 1 race. Packed some empty bags to take shopping. We caught the 9:30 shuttle bus to Bundaberg. We were going to be dropped in downtown Bundaberg, but Brett, the marina manager, took us right to the airport. We owe him! Checked in with Budget. Our rental car is a 4-seater white Kia. Made a stop at the Yanmar dealer for the parts that Mark ordered, only to find, the parts were not there yet. Mark also ordered the hose that he just replaced, in order to have a spare. Our next stop was Aldi's grocery store. Found some great prices. However, could not buy anything that needed refrigeration. Then we headed to the Bundaberg Botanical Gardens. They had a Japanese Garden on the grounds, with several pools and tiny rock lined waterfalls, trickling down to the river. I was looking everywhere for Kangaroos, but none were found. We didn't do any of the other tours there as our time was too short. We had to be back at the Lighthouse Hotel & Restaurant by 1 pm. We stopped at Red Rooster. We both ordered a quarter chicken with fries. Reminded us of Swiss Chalet. Headed to the seminar and got there just in time. Most of the seats were taken, so we ended up in the back row. It was difficult to see over the heads in front of us. John showed us lots of videos. There was a couple in attendance who are running a Rally group to Indonesia. Everything looked wonderful, but it's not on our list. That is the next stop after the South Pacific cruising is done. We talked to our musicians from last night in-between the two seminars. The final seminar talked about all the top things to see in Australia. Then they told us how far each one was from Bundaberg. This is a country almost the size of Canada & USA. They suggested flying to places, taking the train or renting a vehicle. If we drive around, we would have to carry extra food, water and fuel. So, maybe we will re-think our plans. It was after 4 pm before we were done. Mark had selected a lookout with a Submarine Memorial. We have our google maps working, so it didn't take us long to get there. The ocean was down the hill and the waves were crashing into shore. I could barely open my car door, as the wind was so very strong. Took some pictures. Mark regretted not packing a jacket. The breeze was strong and cold. It was a beautiful view. The sun was just deciding to set, so we didn't stay long. There were many kilometers of farmland, as we drove around the area. Mostly sugar cane. We looked up restaurants, but the one Mark selected was not open. We checked out other restaurants, but the ones we liked were not open on Mondays. We saw some cow and horse farms. Mark kept saying that with all the forests around there, we should be seeing kangaroos. Then he spotted one. We stopped the car and I could see two in the distance thru the gated fence. They looked up and I took some pictures, but they were so very far away. We headed back for some more groceries at Aldi's and then drove back to the marina. We still had some leftovers to use up. It was an exhausting day. Hard to sit for many hours. I booked an acupuncture appointment for tomorrow, just before noon. My sciatica has been bothering me. We will do some more land touring after lunch. Then we have the Rally's Done and Dusted Party at night. They will have drinks and canapés for us, plus a live band for the Rally wrap up. Thanks for your emails and messages. Great to hear from everyone! Posted more pictures on Facebook today. Will be late with tomorrow's blog. The wind seems to have settled down. It's not gusting loudly. Our boat is only moving a bit.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015