s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Rally Finale! Tuesday, November 13, 2018

13 November 2018 | Bundaberg Port Marina, Queensland, Australia
Helen & Mark
Had a late dinner after our touring. Both of us were tired so we headed to bed around 10 pm. Got up early this morning. Busied ourselves with breakfast and getting ready. Walked up to the marina and showered. Then packed our bags and toured the Outback. We were looking for a state park but the entrance was a gravel road. We went so far and decided we didn't have enough time. Mark dropped me at the acupuncture appointment. Joe did my acupuncture treatment followed by a massage. It really helped me. In the meantime, Mark went to collect his Yanmar engine parts and refilled one of our propane tanks. Then he was early to come pick me up and found the Bundaberg zoo. He would have taken me there but we ran out of time. Came back to the boat at lunch time. Got changed for the party this evening and had a quick bite to eat. Then headed north. This time to a town called 1770. It was a city named after the year that Captain James Cook discovered Australia. It was a two hour or so drive on a two-lane road, with slow downs for road maintenance. The speed limit varied depending on where we were from 40 k to 100k. We made one stop to fill up our gas tank and have an ice cream. There were many farms growing crops and others with cattle and horses. Then lots of forested areas and some areas with nothing at all. Not much in the way of houses. We arrived there mid afternoon. They had a lovely area with a memorial close to the beach. Then around the corner was another area with a paved path up the mountain. The views down to the water were spectacular. One side of the mountain overlooked a beautiful anchorage. In the middle of the anchorage was a sand bar. The other side was rough white caps and angry seas crashing into the rocky shore line. We could not believe how many signs were posted with flood warnings for the wet season. We had a fast drive back with few vehicles on our side of the road. We made it back to the Lighthouse Hotel & Restaurant for the Rally party. We bought some beer for the marina manager, along the way. Many of the cruisers were already there. We got a free drink each. The choice was beer or wine. We got checked in and each got a drink. Then John invited those that hadn't won a Seafood dinner to come up. So, I went up. If I won, I would have given it to our friends. They gave out three dinners. I didn't win. The final give away was $1400 in underwater lights. Charabia won! So, we need to decided if we are going to add them. Mark will do some research. There was a young Aussie performer, who played didgeridoo, plus other instruments, who performed for our group. Most interesting music. Some of the cruisers joined him for a few songs. Lots of dancing, which was so much fun. They had platter of canapés, but only got to try a few. We ordered a pizza and got one complimentary. We didn't eat much of it and packed the rest up to take back to the boat. Met another cruising couple from Gainesville, FL. Such a small world! They have been cruising for 8 years, heading to Indonesia after cyclone season. Left the party around 10 pm. I know Mark was really tired out from all the driving today. He's getting so much better at driving on the left side of the road! I can honestly say that we are both exhausted from our long day. We will return the rental car to the airport in the morning and catch a ride back with the marina shuttle bus. Thanks for your emails and messages, today. Will be heading to bed shortly. The dock is really moving around. The wind is still blowing, so it must be waves on the river causing that. Our plan is to be here for a couple more days. Then we start heading south.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015