s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Timber Inspection Complete on this US Thanksgiving Day! Thursday, November 22, 2018

22 November 2018 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane, Australia
Helen/Mark
Really didn't do much last night. The evening disappeared. We went for a walk to the restrooms and then took a walk. Got caught in the rain. Headed back to Charabia in a hurry. Got to bed around 10 pm. The wind had settled after the rains. It was peaceful and quiet here at the Rivergate Marina. At some point when I woke up, I was thinking that we could just stay here for a week, rent a car, and do some land traveling. Mark agreed when he woke up. The huge sailboat was still on the dock beside where we were tied up. They re-fueled and spent a large amount of time washing the boat today. We received an early call, so good thing we were up at sunrise today. The timber inspection would be done at 7:30. So, we took everything onboard that was wood and put it out on the cockpit table. Two inspectors showed up at 7:50. They started by asking us for our credit card. We were told that they needed to contact the Bundaberg office as the Rally paid the fee. Mark called our contact and they confirmed this, spoke to the agents and they agreed to bill the rally. Then they asked a few questions on the boat. Then Philip worked with Mark and Stephanie worked with me. We checked the anchor locker, all the wood in the cockpit and the cockpit locker. Then she looked thru the lockers under the salon settee as well as all the cupboards in the kitchen area. The guys did the two pontoons and they each checked the 1/4 berth from the deck side. Nothing amiss. They were gone in less than an hour. They told us some great spots around town to visit while we are here. Mark siphoned our last jerry jug of diesel into our fuel tank. Then he walked the spare dinghy gas tank over to the pumps. At this point we had another shock. They rejected our Visa card. Mark came back in and called and it was sit and wait for quite a while. They took off the fraud alert and we were able to use the self service gas pumps. Walked up and got a cart and loaded the diesel jerry jugs. Mark also filled them with diesel. Packed them all away. The sky was very gray as the Princess cruise ship motored by. The marina was good on their word and drove us to Eurocar, which was not far away. Thank you, Grant. Mark had signed us up online for 6 days. We just got there and they were doing the paper work when the heavens opened up. It was like a Hollywood rain storm, where the rain comes down sideways! Oh my. By the time we left, the rain had stopped. We found the local mall as it was after 11 am and we were ready for lunch. The small mall was doing renovation and we were looking for turkey! Bought a few groceries as our bread had turned moldy and we were out of fruit & veggies. We used our Google Maps and found a shopping mall. They had a café which had both turkey & ham, so that's where we ate. They were great to give us 3 hours free in their parking lot. Headed back to Charabia and packed away our purchases. Then we waited for 3 pm or so, when the tide changed to move slips. They re-assigned us to one on the next dock, all the way inside. Mark did a fabulous job making sure we got out and got there safely. Again, Grant helped from the dock side. Everything went very smoothly. We are really protected here from these big blows. We keep saying that it's 'blowing a hooley'. The sun is sinking in the sky. We thought the Princess would be leaving by now, going past our marina and out on the river for the sunset. They must be staying longer. Caught up on emails and messages. Thanks to all for sending them to us. Salon temperature at 6pm is 84 degrees. Yes, it's hot when you are out of the breeze. Otherwise, I am taking a jacket/sweater with me. Mark found filters for the water maker about an hour's drive south. So, that is where we will head tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing more of this big country. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015